You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/17/2019 8:27 am  #1

Tim River In; Petawawa River Out

Hi everyone,

Longtime lurker here. I love the discussion and information that has been shared on this website and I feel it is time for me come out of the 'back-country' on this website.

One of my trips planned this late July is in the Western area of the park - an area I've not yet ventured.

Access Point #2
Night One - Rosebary Lake
Night Two - Misty Lake (by way of Shah Lake)
Night Three - Misty Lake
Night Four - Daisy Lake
Out at Access Point #3

The trip will include myself and 3 buddies all in our late twenties. We've been to the park at least once a year since high school for back-country trips so I would say our experience is adequate.

Outside of the beaver dams on the Tim and its meandering nature, do you feel that Rosebary to Misty Lake on our second day is to far to travel? We wanted to actually spend two nights on the same campsite this year as we've heard great things about Misty.

Please share any comments you have on my proposed loop. Thanks in advance everyone!

5/17/2019 11:13 am  #2

Re: Tim River In; Petawawa River Out

That's seems like a pretty reasonable route given the timeframe to me ...  I always suggest one windboud day but with small lakes, rivers and 2 nights on misty you are likely fine.  If you are into fishing then I`d suggest adding a day and side trip to timberwolf and macintosh.   

5/17/2019 1:00 pm  #3

Thank you Dead_Weight. I appreciate the feedback. 

We did plan on waking up early on Day 3 to go early morning fishing - good to know McIntosh and Timberwolf have some good spots! Thanks.

5/20/2019 3:07 pm  #4

The day you travel Rosebury to Misty will be more than twice the travel on any of your other days. Just be mentally prepared for that. Jeff’s Map says it’s 6:40 to put you into the far end of Misty but you’ll still need to find a site. Also, that assumes single portages. It’s just such a contrast from the rest of your travel days that I think you may be biting off more than you want to chew. OTOH, It’s easily doable for a bunch of young healthy experienced guys.

5/21/2019 7:30 am  #5

Hi Solos, I appreciate the feedback.

I agree, it is moreso the mental aspect of the 2nd hard day that worries me a bit. We may change our 2nd night to Shah closer to the date, but will see conditions closer to our arrival.
Single portaging will be employed by our group as we're only in for 4 nights.

Perhaps I'll rouse the camp much earlier then usual and get a good start to the day!
Thanks!

5/31/2019 7:31 am  #6

We did a very similar trip last year (or had at least planned to).
In at Magnetawan, Misty Night 1,  Rosebary Night 2,  David Night 3...
We encountered the worst storm the first night that I've ever encountered in the backcountry, trees down, everything blown everywhere, tent nearly sideways... etc...
We were supposed to go up the Tim via Shah to Rosebary for Night 2, but the lake didn't calm down enough until around 11am and there was further thunderstorms called for that day; we didn't want to risk going up river with a lack of place to take cover should we encounter thunder, so we decided to stay put.
Ended up doing Misty to David via Queer/Ralph Bice on Day 3.

5/31/2019 7:49 am  #7

@breed85. Wow! Hope nothing important was damaged in the storm!

Did you fish Misty by any chance?

5/31/2019 8:46 am  #8

Rosebary to Misty is very doable. I just did Little Trout to Timberwolf and the section from the Queer-Tim portage to the Shaw portage took me an hour and seventeen minutes in high water in a prosector that turns well. You may have a couple of log liftovers to deal with and I didn't see any beaverdams. The Shaw portage right now is flooded in sections so come july it will be mosquito hell.

5/31/2019 10:55 am  #9

geologicaldust wrote:

@breed85. Wow! Hope nothing important was damaged in the storm!

Did you fish Misty by any chance?

I have another post about this in response to someone inquiring about a weather radio.
They experienced the same storm.
A tree missed our tent by about a foot, I lost my rod holder and my rod tip got snapped, we got pretty lucky.
I've since invested in an InReach Mini.

I didn't get much of a chance to fish Misty...

5/31/2019 2:15 pm  #10

@breed85 wow, good luck indeed! thanks for the follow-up.

@CoreyTrevor - smokes, let's go.
Thanks for the information, I'm hoping that the water levels will continue to stay high this summer as compared to the last few. I'll make sure we get a good slathering of bug dope before we head along the Tim/Shah portage thanks!

6/12/2019 7:51 am  #11

Three things I can offer:

1) The portage from the Tim River up to Shah Lake has some steep climbing in spots. 
2) Shah Lake only has one nice campsite (the point on the eastern shore).
3) Misty Lake is great!

6/13/2019 8:50 am  #12

breed85 wrote:

We did a very similar trip last year (or had at least planned to).
In at Magnetawan, Misty Night 1,  Rosebary Night 2,  David Night 3...
We encountered the worst storm the first night that I've ever encountered in the backcountry, trees down, everything blown everywhere, tent nearly sideways... etc...
We were supposed to go up the Tim via Shah to Rosebary for Night 2, but the lake didn't calm down enough until around 11am and there was further thunderstorms called for that day; we didn't want to risk going up river with a lack of place to take cover should we encounter thunder, so we decided to stay put.
Ended up doing Misty to David via Queer/Ralph Bice on Day 3.

By any chance, was that the week after Labour Day? We got slammed pretty hard on Booth, but it seemed like it was worse to the north west.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.