You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/02/2019 11:28 am  #1

Access 14B - Dagger lake

Heading in for a trip this spring and was planning on access through Dagger Lake. Anyone have any recent reports on road conditions or the portage conditions on the way into Big Porc?

5/02/2019 7:30 pm  #2

Re: Access 14B - Dagger lake

I was there summer of 2017. Just be mindful of the portage from Dagger to Minkey. The latest Jeff’s Map makes it look like it’s on the north shore but it’s on the south shore and unmarked.

5/03/2019 8:23 am  #3

it has been many years since i tripped in that area,, try calling the livingstone lake lodge for road access info.
   another access is at kimble lake up the golden stair case to rockaway, then east from there,, maybe half the portage is along a old road into a crown hunting camp before branching off to rockaway,, fantastic beach on kimble at the portage landing,, 2 cottages there as well,,, great spot, 
     crown lake access ,, old trail into the park, if you can find it

5/03/2019 11:47 am  #4

Solo - I've seen that floating around about the portage being on the south side. Was the condition typical of  low-maintenance portages?

Swedish - Good Idea about calling the lodge.

Thanks to both.

5/03/2019 2:15 pm  #5

I remember the portage from Dagger to Minkey not having any major obstacles but it was a bit overgrown. Also, on the way back out I took a wrong turn and ended up following a tiny logging road for a 100 m or so before realizing that it wasn't going towards Dagger.

The start of the portage going north out of Dividing Lake I remember as being kind of steep for the first few minutes but nothing killer. I turned off after a few hundred meters because I was headed toward McGarvey. I remember that portage being particularly filled with mosquitos while the rest of the trip didn't have too many. Also, there were huge horse flies at the access point and on the road in ... don't drive with the windows open.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.