You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/30/2019 9:09 am  #18

Re: Mark in the Park Episode 7 (Video)

pjr2013 wrote:

...  Looks like they set the tarp up pretty much over the fire pit - anyone els do this??  I am always afraid the tarp will melt....

I have done this a couple of times but I haven't quite optimized the set up. First time I had a 12' × 16' poly tarp hastily put up before a big series of thunderstorms hit. The tarp was mostly horizontal but I used a log pole planted right beside the fire pit to keep the tarp height about 8'. Seemed to work well and I don't remember having any big issues with smoke. Second time I planned out an elaborate 5-sided box-like tarp structure where the roof was 8' above the fire. The smoke was a big problem with that set up because it would hit the ceiling and then curl down the sides of the box so that it felt I was sitting in a smoke house. No problems with melting but the embers will make some holes, more so on thin nylon. 

My next attempt will be a 15' square poly tarp with one 6' high wall angled so the base is 3' back, and the rest will be the roof, peaked at 9'. Hopefully it's good balance between blocking wind and avoiding smoke. I'll have to check out the 7th episode just to see Mark's tarp setup.

Last edited by solos (4/30/2019 9:13 am)

4/30/2019 9:11 am  #19

In regards to the tarp over the fire...I have a massive MEC Super Tarp that I'll try to set up so that the edge is just off the top of the fire.  This gives us a spot to sit under in the rain but doesn't actually cover the fire.  I'll bring up a tin lid (from the dollar store) that I put over the fire to keep the rain off...works really well, is super light and costs a buck.

4/30/2019 9:33 am  #20

Setting up a tarp over a fire in the rain is likely my number 1 backcountry knowledge shortcoming. Have never been able to really perfect that.

I need to go camping more.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/30/2019 9:35 am  #21

I find when it's rainy we spend more time around camp and want to be around a fire (we trip mostly in the shoulder seasons and winter) so being able to stay dry and keep a fire going in the pouring rain has always been a priority for us...never burned a tarp yet...yet

4/30/2019 2:44 pm  #22

Steve E wrote:

...  I'll bring up a tin lid (from the dollar store) that I put over the fire to keep the rain off...works really well, is super light and costs a buck.

This is brilliant. It keeps the rain off, won't burn (easily), and can be angled to reflect the infrared towards where you're standing. I'll have to try this some time in the future.

4/30/2019 3:39 pm  #23

Works really good for winter camping as they reflect the heat right back at you:

For car camping I've taken it one step further and made a beefier version with legs

4/30/2019 4:11 pm  #24

What a great idea - about what are the dimensions and how well do they pack up in your bags? Thanks Steve

4/30/2019 4:13 pm  #25

Honestly I don't know the dimensions...maybe 15 inches by 20 inches?  The beauty is you can fold and unfold these a bunch of times and they hold up pretty well.  Mine usually last a couple trips then I toss them and grab a couple new ones...

As for the bigger one, it's a large baking sheet so its a bit bigger and a lot heavier.  Doesn't fit in my pack so it's reserved for car camping.  The legs are threaded so I can adjust the height or angle and put a nut on the top to hold in place.  Works great for keeping rain off, drying off wet wood or cooking on!

Sorry guys didn't mean to hijack this thread...

4/30/2019 4:42 pm  #26

Just want to start off by saying that nobody should apologize for "hijacking" this thread, as long as there is some constructive conversation going on!  Part of the reason I wanted to create this series was to get people talking about canoe camping, and if people can draw ideas from what they've seen and expand their knowledge by discussing those ideas with fellow campers, I'm all for it!  

So to join in on the conversation....

SPAM (what IS that stuff?)....  Notice that during my quick appearance at the end of the episode, I was not consuming the pink mystery meat. Having never actually tried it (and not really wanting to), I don't believe any condiment could save that little pink brick.  Markus was kind enough to send me home with a "SPAM single" to try on my next camping trip.  

In regards to the tarp over the fire, there are a few points to consider:
1. What is your tarp made of?  A silnylon tarp for example, has better heat resistance than most other lightweight synthetic materials (ex. polyester, urethane coated nylon).  *Key word is RESISTANCE, nothing is fire-proof*
2.  Hanging arrangement.  As others have eluded to, hanging configuration can make a huge difference in terms of keeping you and the fire dry, as well as how heat/smoke are trapped (and thus burn risk).  This can obviously depend on things like the size of your tarp, available guy-out points/trees.  Keys are to keep it well above the fire and embers and allow room for (at least some) heat to escape.    

Producer / Camera Operator - Mark in the Park TV Show
Season 2:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpo6wbdVw4qmSqVK8zliRnCbgekagKzpS
Summer 2020:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpo6wbdVw4qkWN_4wQlRxNJUkEeCeAKq3
Professional Backcountry Canoe Tripper Wannabe

4/30/2019 4:51 pm  #27

Nice idea Steve
A modern take on the late Phil Cottons Wabakimi fire pit. Built with a rock slab covering the fire to protect it from the rain. These were purposely built to small for a standard 16" fire log to reduce the amount of wood consumed but still big enough to allow cooking over a fire.

Photo Credit.
Copied form the Wabakimi Project website.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.