You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2019 9:47 am  #18

Re: AFA 2019-2020 Schedule of Operations Map

Thank you, MartinG.

John, I sincerely apologize for my accusations and comments that were made in error.  I have removed them from the thread so as not to cause further confusion.

4/26/2019 11:03 am  #19

I had a related question ... for any roads that we are not allowed to go on, are there signs typically posted to tell us that or is it traveller beware ?  I've gone off the beaten track a few times and don't ever recall seeing warning signs .. .but I'm also guilty of tuning out things like that when I'm just watching the odometer to measure how close I am to a put in, trail, etc.   

4/26/2019 5:30 pm  #20

I must say, this is making me very curious about Foys Lake. What's so special about it that would motivate anyone to portage the 4 1/2  or 5 km just to get in, then have to turn around and portage the whole distance again out? It's not that I don't get the appeal of the remoteness, or the advantage gained from traversing long portages. It's just the dead-end factor--like you would really have to want to be there to carry that far for just the one lake. I feel like I'm missing something. Anyone?

4/27/2019 10:03 pm  #21

Paddlerunner wrote:

... What's so special about it that would motivate anyone to portage the 4 1/2  or 5 km just to get in ...

I’ve never been there but on the map the lake looks like it might be kind of nice. The remoteness is probably the biggest attraction. In the grand scheme of things 4375 m isn’t that much portaging, especially if you don’t need to paddle far. However, when I’m looking for destination lakes I am very wary of lakes with (non-public) roads leading to them. I figure the odds of encountering visitors that probably shouldn’t be there are too high ... it would spoil my solitude.

4/28/2019 10:11 am  #22

@Paddlerunner........pretty lake.

Last edited by boknows (4/28/2019 10:15 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/30/2019 10:40 am  #23

That sounds like heaven right now ...

4/30/2019 11:46 am  #24

Paddlerunner wrote:

I must say, this is making me very curious about Foys Lake. What's so special about it that would motivate anyone to portage the 4 1/2  or 5 km just to get in, then have to turn around and portage the whole distance again out? It's not that I don't get the appeal of the remoteness, or the advantage gained from traversing long portages. It's just the dead-end factor--like you would really have to want to be there to carry that far for just the one lake. I feel like I'm missing something. Anyone?

Some of the best places in algonquin park are dead-enders. This message will self-destruct.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.