You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2019 11:28 am  #1

Double blade paddles ??

Hello, I’m looking to try something new this paddling season and try a double blade paddle for my solo trips.. Up until today I’ve always used the traditional single blade. So I’m kindly asking for some assistance to help me find the right one..I’d say 90% of my trips are interior Algonquin or Temagami in a solo canoe , so it’s always a mixed batch of lakes, rivers, and portages.. any help is greatly appreciated !!

4/04/2019 7:02 pm  #2

Re: Double blade paddles ??

Hey Whiskey

So not sure of what kind of advice specifically you are looking for.. brand, size,low angle vs high angle, straight vs bent shaft., whether they are worth using.

Here’s my 2 cents on them for what it’s worth though. I own 2 double blades at the moment both are Werners. A 250cm Camano and a 240 cm Kalliste.

First question is likely should you even use a double blade in a canoe ?  For me the answer is yes and it is really a question of practicality for me. I’m faster and more efficient with one  and in a strong wind they are indispensable. I can get further into the backcountry faster. That really answers the question for me.  I understand why some don’t like them though. They are not as enjoyable to use as a single blade and spending time in the backcountry should certainly not all be about speed and efficiency.

Brands...I would stick with one of the main brands. Werner, Aqua Bound or Bending Branches. I would stay away from aluminum shaft ones as they can be quite cold on the hands. A very good starter model would be something like a Werner Skagit imo.

Size.... depends on how wide your canoe is. I have used doubles from 220cms to 280cms. My Keewaydin 14 has a max width of 28” and the 240/250 cms one I have work well. Both my paddles are low angle blades. If you think you would prefer a high angle blade you wiould choose a shorter paddle. For an explanation of high vs low angle go here.

https://aquabound.com/blog/kayak-paddles-high-angle-vs-low-angle

Bent vs straight shaft I can’t really offer any advice here. I have never used a bent shaft. I have heard others say that they are easier on their joints though.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/04/2019 7:38 pm  #3

ShawnD wrote:

So not sure of what kind of advice specifically you are looking for.. brand, size,low angle vs high angle, straight vs bent shaft., whether they are worth using.

I would like to try out a double to see how much quicker it will let me travel. However, I’m uncertain how well a double fits i my use case.

1. Dow they work well for a “backseat” soloist in a standard tandem, like a keewaydin 16?
2. Can you rely on it as your only paddle for general flat water or would you want a regular paddle for some situations?
3. Have you measured your speed difference between a double and a single in the same boat?

4/04/2019 9:04 pm  #4

solos wrote:

1. Dow they work well for a “backseat” soloist in a standard tandem, like a keewaydin 16?
2. Can you rely on it as your only paddle for general flat water or would you want a regular paddle for some situations?
3. Have you measured your speed difference between a double and a single in the same boat?

Just to make sure I understand question 1. Is it. Can you use a double blade from the stern position while soloing a  boat like a Keewaydin 16?
If so not sure I know anyone who solos an asymmetrical  canoe from the stern seat. I have one and solo it from a kneeing thwart. Installing a center seat and using a double blade from there would likely work best. That said if the boat were trimmed properly I don’t see why you couldn’t do that. 

Question 2 : sure it could be your only paddle. I always bring 2 paddles though if for no other reason then if something happens to one of them. I troll some times too though and a double blade doesn’t work well for me doing that. Plus like I said a single blade is more enjoyable so I bring one just to use for a relaxing morning paddle etc. 

And question 3. Nope. Never felt the need I guess. For me it isn’t even close though. Of that I’m dead certain.

Last edited by ShawnD (4/04/2019 9:06 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

4/04/2019 11:32 pm  #5

The dog sits right behind the front seat and our packs are in the front so that usually trims the boat nicely. I think I’ll have to buy a double to see how much I like it and if the speed gain is worth it. I can sustain a pretty good speed solo with a regular paddle and I know that as you put more effort in you get diminishing returns on your speed increase so I’d just like to see if it’s worth it , for me. I don’t obsess over numbers but I do use a scale to tell me that my white 1 litre nalgeen is 150 g while the green 1 litre nalgene is 100 g. Thanks for the info.

4/05/2019 8:30 am  #6

Thank you so much for the info ShawnD , this really helps me out. I’m heading to APP May 16th for a 4 nighter and it’ll be interesting to try out a double blade. I’ll still pack my ol’ faithfull single blade though. 👌

4/05/2019 9:23 am  #7

Not sure if this is near either of you but for $50 this Bending Branches paddle might be money well spent just to try out a double blade and see if it is right for you.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-canoe-kayak-paddle-boat/norfolk-county/kayaking-gear-paddle-float-pump/1422475115?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

4/05/2019 6:49 pm  #8

I was (mis?)fortunate enough to find myself in Sail today so i stood there air paddling a couple of their doubles. The first seemed really heavy such that it would quickly get tiring. The next one was nice and light but they both felt a little awkward.I’m thinking it would be harder to apply the same force you can with a single stroke from a regular paddle and that could make it more difficult to navigate twisty rivers. Next time I’m in MEC I’ll have to check out the Accent Lanai or the Air. I think that I will buy a double in the future but I can wait until I do a more paddle intensive trip like going out to Devine Lake

4/05/2019 10:05 pm  #9

For canoe paddling because you are sitting higher than in a kayak, and have more width to clear you probably need the longest double blade paddle you can get.  I have a 260cm 2-piece Werner Kalliste.  It was a custom order, and despite getting it on sale it was pricey but well worth it.  It's very light, but rigid.  I do experience a little bit of flutter (blade wobbling in the water) if I'm paddling hard at the end of a long day.  I also demoed a Bending Branches Slice, which does come up to 280cm, but it weighs more than twice as much, with the weight concentrated at the tips, and the shaft is not rigid so the whole paddle wobbles in your hands (think of the pole a tight-rope walker carries).  I think fighting the wobble would tire you out over a long day.

To answer some of the other questions....   I always carry a spare paddle.  Carbon single blade.  I usually only use it in very tight places (windy creeks), or if I have a very short distance between portages (you can see the next portage from the current one) as I have one strap to access the single blade and two to get the double out. 

I travel much quicker with the double blade.  Probably not twice as fast, but noticeably faster (maybe 25%+) with less effort.  It make a huge difference traveling into the wind.  To me the higher speed means I can get to more interesting places, and cover more ground.  Some might argue I'm missing things (or the point) by going 'fast', but at less than 10km/h it's hard to argue one is traveling too fast.

I haven't tried it solo in the back seat. My solo canoe has the seat in the middle.  I have contemplated using it in the front when canoeing tandem, but haven't actually tried it out.  Front it usually just providing propulsion, and a single blade would make more sense in the back for steering.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.