You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2019 2:21 pm  #1

Route suggestion for early May

Had always done backcountry camping in early May and September. Last year, for the first time, I went in June, July, and AUgust. Never again. It just isn't the same with the bugs!

Anyways, a group of us want to go the first weekend of May before the black flies have a chance to cheer and celebrate our arrival. Woudl really like to go back to lake OSA in Killarney, but it's just too far away from where I am (Toronto) for a 2 or even 3-night camping trip. But everything else it offers is what we're looking for, which are these:

* Not more than 4 hours away. Ideally 3 hours.

* A relaxing backcountry trip. So a few portages, 5-6 hours or so of a canoe trip in total. A bit of challenge, but nothing too difficult. A long portage, if it's just one portage for the whole trip, would be OK as well. And just staying put in one spot for 2-3 nights, perhaps with some day trips to explore the surrounding areas.

* A nice spot to enjoy the sun, ideally on those Canadian Shield type of rocks facing the sun, with an open and fairly spacious and flat campsite. I suppose it doesn't have to be too open since bugs are not (or should not) be an issue at that time of the year.

* Somewhere serene. Think lake OSA, think North Tea, think Blackcat Lake in Haliburton Highlands. I know the water is cold, but being able to swim (or in this case, dip!) in the cold water is a must.

* Don't think there's anything to fish or that it's even allowed at that time of the season, so fishing is not an issue.

Would appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thanks

Last edited by Sepandee (3/04/2019 1:39 pm)

3/03/2019 5:24 pm  #2

Re: Route suggestion for early May

In early May there will be few campers around (or none if the lakes are still frozen!), so almost anywhere you choose to go will likely be serene. Trout season opens before then so you can certainly fish if you want to. 

On the "one long portage" front, consider the Rock Lake access point into Louisa (which is a beautiful lake). Yes, that means a 3 kilometer portage, but it's as easy as 3k portages get - flat and good footing. 

If that's more than you want to tackle, perhaps the Canoe Lake access point. While most of the year you're not going to find 'serene' anywhere remotely near Canoe Lake (the busiest in the park), in early May you should be fine. Littledoe, Tom Thomson, Burnt Island are all beautiful lakes with lots of campsite choices. If you want something a little cozier, push into Sunbeam (through Vanishing pond). None of those routes have any long or challenging portages. 

3/04/2019 11:28 am  #3

Another great lake you could try is Misty Lake...  you can reach easily from either Access 3 or 4. some Nice campsites, have always run into moose on this lake, with some nice river travel. You could also take the 2.4km portage into Queer Lake and head back to Access 3 via Ralph Bice. Good luck!

3/04/2019 1:38 pm  #4

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions.

Been wanting to go to Lake Louisa for a while now. I don't mind the portage myself. 3KM is long though so some people in the group may not be up for it.

I've heard nice things about Misty Lake as well. Happy Isle is another I hear is nice, though I'm not sure if the shuttles operate in May or not (and ideally would like to keep the cost to a minimum, so no shuttles).

3/04/2019 3:06 pm  #5

The water taxi service opens as soon as camping season does, so that's definitely an option. The portage into Happy Isle is another kind one and yes, Happy Isle is a beautiful, and clear lake. If you get a calm enough day you'll be able to see the rocky bottom to surprising depths. And Misty is also great, but the ~2.4 km portage into Ink is one of my personal nemises(es). It's up and down and rocky and rooty and it feels twice as long as it actually is. 

Last edited by Uppa (3/04/2019 3:07 pm)

3/04/2019 7:55 pm  #6

I was under impression that Killarney and Algonquin are approximately same driving time from Toronto. If OSA is too far away then Happy Isle is not very close either? I might be myopic judging distances from NYC.
Anyways, starting from Canoe I'd consider Burnt Island or Sunbeam (ditto Uppa)  for a relaxed day of tripping. Double carrying portages Misty will be too far from Canoe. From Magnetawan it's 6-7 hours. YMMV of course. And in my experience early May in AP could mean plenty of fishermen for a company. Not sure if it counts for serene - personally, I prefer bugs

3/05/2019 5:04 pm  #7

EddyTurn wrote:

I was under impression that Killarney and Algonquin are approximately same driving time from Toronto. If OSA is too far away then Happy Isle is not very close either? I might be myopic judging distances from NYC.
Anyways, starting from Canoe I'd consider Burnt Island or Sunbeam (ditto Uppa)  for a relaxed day of tripping. Double carrying portages Misty will be too far from Canoe. From Magnetawan it's 6-7 hours. YMMV of course. And in my experience early May in AP could mean plenty of fishermen for a company. Not sure if it counts for serene - personally, I prefer bugs

It depends where in Algonquin. The southeast side of it is certainly much closer (and by much I mean 3 hours vs. 4 or 4.5 hours)

3/11/2019 12:10 pm  #8

Seconding Misty from AP 3. You can see wildlife at the east end - the narrows. I've also seen a family of otters in the first north bay. Several rocky campsites. And you get a mix of lake and river/wetland travel. Daytrip loop to Timberwolf. I have no idea where the fish bite in Misty. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.