You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2019 8:40 am  #1

Kenneth Lake Sites

Looking for any pictures or information on the camp sites on Kenneth lake. Checked trip logs and PCI but haven't found anything yet.

Thanks
Grant

2/27/2019 11:42 am  #2

Re: Kenneth Lake Sites

If you do some google searching you should be able to find some pics.

I took a day trip to the lake about 5 years ago and checked out all 3 sites. My memory isn’t perfect but I vaguely recall them being alright sites; not the scenic, exposed, aesthetic type, but more enclosed and sheltered with the essentials you need.

At the time the portage from Head was overgrown and not in great condition, but that may have changed by now. It’s a nice feeling that it’s a dead end lake and since the portage is uphill and you’re on top of the waterfall, it has that “camping in my private area atop the rest of the park” feeling... But maybe I’m weird and I just see it like that.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

3/05/2019 11:11 am  #3

The only time I camped on Kenneth Lake was many years ago.  I camped at the end of the 290m portage into Kenneth.  It was an excellent site that met my needs.  On the down side, I caught no Lake Trout.  This was in May.  Never checked out the other two sites on the lake.  Sorry, no pictures as I never take a camera with me on my backcountry trips.  Only fishing and camping gear and some refreshing drinks.  I didn't find it difficult to get there.  Hope this helps.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

3/14/2019 9:30 am  #4

The East sight is the best on the lake IMO.  Tent beds are on a beautiful and protected peninsula with a nice private swimming area.  The lake extends way behind the site and is great for wild life and fishing.  Great sun and sunset view.  The West sight has a large, elevated rocky seating area right on the water, which is where the fire pit is as well.  I haven't camped there but it's a nice site.  

You can also plan a short day trip over to Head lake to swim/have lunch at the waterfalls (there is a beauty site right at the falls you may want to consider as well). 

Kenneth lake feels like you're in the middle of the back country while only being a short paddle from the car. 

3/14/2019 11:14 am  #5

I camped on the west rock-outcrop site waaay back in spring 2012.. I liked it (but I'm partial to rocky outcrops) however based on TripperMike's above-description of the east site, I kind of wish I made the paddle over to check it out - definitely sounds like the better of the two. I guess it comes down to whether you prefer sunrise or sunset.

If you are going in the spring, you can paddle the creek at the west end for an ok distance, maybe 20 minutes or so - pretty much just past the edge of the marshland on Jeffs Map. Again though, this was 7 years ago, so who knows what those crafty beavers have been up to. The waterfalls are also very nice.

3/14/2019 2:58 pm  #6

I was able to canoe into that creek/damn area far enough to tie a canoe up and walk to the top of the falls in early August.  You can also paddle over to the backpacking trail on Head lake for a nice day hike. 

3/14/2019 4:16 pm  #7

I checked out the south-west creek, not the north-east creek. Though the top of the falls is probably more exciting.

3/19/2019 1:09 pm  #8

Peek wrote:

I checked out the south-west creek, not the north-east creek. Though the top of the falls is probably more exciting.

Ah yes, my bad I misread.  That end of the lake was also beautiful.  Great lake to post up and relax for an easy few days. 

3/23/2019 9:38 pm  #9

Here's a couple pics of the west site.  We stayed there in early May 2013 and really liked it.

Cheers.

3/24/2019 7:10 am  #10

Thanks for posting

3/24/2019 10:46 am  #11

Booked Kenneth for May. Wanted to add it to my list of lakes camped on. It's satisfying adding a pin to the Algonquin map...lol.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.