You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/02/2018 2:17 pm  #1

Rain Lake Sites

Hey All!

I have a trip planned with 3 buddies to give 2 of them their first taste of Algonquin park. We are heading out Oct. 13th weekend and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for sites on Rain lake that:

1) Can Accommodate 3 tents

2) Sheltered from the Wind (relatively)

3) Larger/Open site (I will have my dog and she loves ripping around sites).

Or that just have some cool features/easy access to wood because of the temperatures, etc.

Thank you kindly in advance for your help!

Cheers!

Marcus

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

10/02/2018 4:31 pm  #2

Re: Rain Lake Sites

Hi - using Barry's "PCI project" on the main page of the AA site for reference, it looks like there's only one site that has been reviewed, and that would be #5.  My personal experience is that I've stayed on both the island sites, which are on the PCI project map as sites 8 and 9.  8 is the westernmost, and I think widely considered the best site on the lake.  It has a big, sloping rock as access to the lake.  Since it faces the west it is going to face the predominant wind as well, but it is a very nice site.  9 is on the eastern side of the lake, I stayed there last year.  The water access is a bit closed in, so it isn't exactly a room with a view, but I don't think you'd have a hard time finding three tent locations there, and it is protected from the wind.  There are trails kind of so you can explore the island a bit. 

Sites 12, 13, and 14 have a hiking trail behind them, so there's an automatic activity for you.

10/02/2018 6:35 pm  #3

I stayed on # 8 for a couple of nights after having visited every other site on the lake first. It is easily the nicest site on the lake and has a very large/tall stone chimney in the centre. Google "Rain Lake Chimney". It was great during a cold wet spell as we could set up a big tarp and sit under it in front of the fireplace. It is really the only site that could comfortably accommodate a larger party.. you could use both sites on the island if necessary. It is nice and open and a lovely sloping rock landing. 

10/03/2018 6:18 am  #4

Personally I have always liked site #6 on rain lake, it's been a while since I've stayed there but I'm pretty sure you have the room for 3 tents. It's got a nice view up the expanse of the lake.    The souther most site on the island has a huge sloping rock as mentioned above, with tons of room for the doggo to rip around.

10/03/2018 8:40 am  #5

Rain Lake Chimney

Dave

10/03/2018 10:29 am  #6

Great info! Thanks so much!

That chimney does look pretty awesome, especially with mid October weather. I just thought itd be nice to be close to the hiking trail as well for a nice day trip if the winds are up so all of those suggestions would be close enough.

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

10/04/2018 5:03 am  #7

Islet has some nice sites that have direct access to the hiking trail if your up for the extra little trek, 2 really short portages. My wife and I were there last fall.

10/04/2018 9:37 am  #8

I was looking at Islet as a possible spot as well I just couldn't find much info on the sites with regards to size and accommodation for 3 tents. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.