You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/27/2018 9:39 pm  #1

Welcome to Kiosk Part Two: Escaping the Bugocalypse

Part two of my early June trip through some of the lakes around Kiosk is up now over at All of Algonquin. I had to change the subtitle from Escape from Bug Island because I realized I was never actually on an island at any point during this trip. I was, however, in the middle of the bugocalypse, so I think the new subtitle works just as well.

http://allofalgonquin.com/2018/06/27/welcome-to-kiosk-part-two-escaping-the-bugocalypse/

6/28/2018 7:37 am  #2

Re: Welcome to Kiosk Part Two: Escaping the Bugocalypse

Dude!!! Your legs!!!
This is why my trips are in September.
I admire you for your perseverance. . . . . . sorta

6/28/2018 7:40 am  #3

Nice report (both of them).  You have strengthened my reserve to only head up there in the shoulder seasons.  I love Algonquin, but bugs are not invited to my parties there.

6/28/2018 11:26 am  #4

Did two amazing short trips this June. Sure the bugs are bad but we change up our trips to mitigate against bites. First off you don't need to go far to escape civilization. Last Friday we went one buggy portage in and we didn't see a soul the whole 3 days. Basically it's base camps and day trips that are the plan as you want to stay out of the deep bush as much as you can.

You need long sleeved clothes, bug nets, spray, a Thermacell for the Thunderbox (I place it while having my coffee to be ready for go-time) and a bug racket to clear out the inside of the tent.

A smoky fire at dusk is key and we have a screen shelter which is our sanctuary when things get really bad, or for in the morning when you just need to have your coffee without being harassed.
It's also key to grab a site which is elevated and exposed. A nice gust of wind rolling through your site is what you want. In June we usually have our site planned out already that match those criteria.
Equally important to the above is having a mindset that, regardless of what measures you take, YOU WILL GET BITTEN.

@AlgonquinLakes - I don't know what it is with parking lots and packing the car but that's where we had by far our worst bug experiences as well. 

6/28/2018 12:18 pm  #5

That was a terrific report.  I've been waiting and waiting for it because I knew it would be outstanding. 

The one and only time I ever took my wife was in June because I didn't know any better back then.  It wasn't bad generally, but waking up on our second (and final) morning, I heard chainsaws in the far distance, and figured there was logging going on.  Then I realized it was mosquitoes outside the tent.  It took five seconds to break camp.  As soon as I stepped out of the boat, I wiped about twenty mosquitoes off my left wrist and hand, result was a bloody pulp of dead mosquitoes.  Did the same to the right hand, and in the time it took to wipe the right hand, the left hand was fully populated again.  I put a pack on my wife's back and said "GO."  It was surreal.  You won't see me there in June again - but I'm very happy to read about your June trips!

7/07/2018 11:33 am  #6

There is no escape.  Of course now that July has hit, when it gets to hot out for the mossies, the deer flies fill the void.

I love the bit about sitting in your tent eye to eye with the swarm.  Being a hammock camper I've had more than a few trips where watching/fearing the neighbours made me hold my bladder or get a late start to the day.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.