You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/07/2015 11:38 am  #1

McCraney Lake spring trip

Haven't been able to find a whole lot of reports for this lake.  Was wondering if anyone has been there recently and can comment on the sites and fishing.  From what I've read it seems like a decent lake all around. 

Thanks

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

10/07/2015 12:28 pm  #2

Re: McCraney Lake spring trip

It is a decent lake all around. The long portage in is nice and flat, the lake is pretty and there's access to the backpacking trail if you want to go for a hike. I haven't fished it but my understanding is lake trout are pretty abundant, but in small sizes, and mercury is a concern for children and future mothers among lakers that most would consider eater-sized. http://www.ontario.ca/environment-and-energy/sport-fish-consumption-advisory?id=45347854

I think brook trout are more rare in the lake, though there are some.

Last edited by DanPM (10/07/2015 12:29 pm)

10/07/2015 3:26 pm  #3

Hi BB
I was there in early July and yes the portage is flat and wide but it was very swampy and I think you would find the same in the spring so where the right footwear and bring extra socks. I stayed at the S facing campsite on the larger island which was ok. The one on the N side looked better but was occupied. I did check out the site on the smaller island and it was pretty impressive with lots of space and great swimming opprtunities as there is sand beach along much of it. If your going in spring and the bugs are out you may want an island site for the cross breeze. Haven't fished it though.

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

10/07/2015 5:53 pm  #4

BB, I was just in there for the labour day weekend.   I stayed at the site on the north end of the big island...great site. One of the best I have ever had. Amazing swimming and a nice big site.  Did not fish so I can not comment on that, however I will tell you that I can see that portage being very very buggy in the spring time.  The portage itself is very easy.   When you get to the mcCraney side you will come to a fork in the trail, go to the right

Ken

10/07/2015 6:23 pm  #5

Ken is correct. It is buggy in the spring on the portage so wear a bug jacket and gloves. My hands were eaten!
K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

10/13/2015 1:13 am  #6

Nice lake, easy portage in from rain lake.. although the portage can be buggy.. even was a year ago in September!    There is a site on the North end that's nice that I stayed at with a bench and nice view of the lake... video is on my YouTube channel.   But for sure is a nice lake.. but we did only visit and stay on the North end but I'm certain you won't be dissapointed.   Just hope your neighbours aren't loud, as sounds do carry across the lake!   Enjoy!

Last edited by Camper905 (10/13/2015 1:13 am)

----------------------------
What I'm known for---> My YouTube Channel!:  http://youtube.com/camper905

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.