You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/03/2015 9:53 am  #1

Madawaska west bound

Does anyone think they (or more to the point I) could padddle upsream on the madawaska from Head Cr to Cache L in tbe spring or fall?

10/03/2015 1:04 pm  #2

Re: Madawaska west bound

I would think so, went downstream last year in the fall, theres a bit of a current,and many beaverdams, but as long as youre oke clearing them i dont see why it would not be possible. River runs nice and deep in most places.

10/03/2015 3:02 pm  #3

Hey solo_lesta, I did that stretch on Monday.  It was perfectly fine, but loaded not only with beaver dams but with beaver winter-feed piles.  Lots of scratches on the canoe, and ridiculous numbers of small bass to catch if you're so inclined.
Here's a photo taken from the bridge that's part of the Track and Tower trail.  The water is low but nowhere was it too shallow to paddle.  Head Creek between Head Lake and Harness was more difficult than this stretch

10/05/2015 7:51 am  #4

Ok.  Im working on routes for a spring trip.

Im thinking of potting in at smoke then working my way counter clockwise down through porcupine, louisa, up to head, cache, and back out at smoke.

So i can either portage 1640 from head to cache, or paddle upstream and 5 smaller portages...  hmmm that 1640's not looking so bad all the sudden.

10/05/2015 9:14 am  #5

I did the five small portages. They were fine but that was some years ago when I was only 62,  It did take most of a day.

10/05/2015 10:23 am  #6

solo_lesta wrote:

Ok. Im working on routes for a spring trip.

Im thinking of potting in at smoke then working my way counter clockwise down through porcupine, louisa, up to head, cache, and back out at smoke.

So i can either portage 1640 from head to cache, or paddle upstream and 5 smaller portages... hmmm that 1640's not looking so bad all the sudden.

That's sort of what I did last week, but started and finished at Cache instead of Smoke.  The Head Creek/Madawaska section took about 3.5 hours, including fishing and photography time.

A soaring eagle was kind enough to show me the junction of the two rivers, which I missed going downstream on Head by about 100m.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.