You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2015 1:13 pm  #1

Fall Colours near Achray?

Just got back from a trip into Penn Lake and the colours weren't really out in full force yet so I want to get in another trip while I am on holidays (back to work Sunday). It's looking like I am going to have a pretty strong North wind no matter what basically (20km/h). I was thinking I could basecamp somewhere like Sec Lake and I could day trip if the wind is in my favor or fish etc.. being able to bring in some firewood is a bonus. From what I remember that area is basically all conifers?

Last edited by token (9/30/2015 1:14 pm)

9/30/2015 2:06 pm  #2

Re: Fall Colours near Achray?

Thinking I might actually just head for rain lake in the morning! Looks like there is lots of opportunity for nice colours and I will have the backpacking trail for day trips if too windy to paddle. What are the best sites on Rain Lake?

9/30/2015 3:09 pm  #3

The east side is dominated by pines.. So the colours are mostly (not entirely though as there are some other species) green year round.

Good call on rain Lake. Hit up the island, cool surprise there..

9/30/2015 3:18 pm  #4

Lol, what kind of surprise? 
And how would the color be around Crotch / Shall?

Last edited by token (9/30/2015 3:36 pm)

9/30/2015 4:14 pm  #5

Couple good fire "pits" on the island.  First site on right as you come out of narrows is really nice.  Looks up the lake toward the island
Ken

9/30/2015 4:39 pm  #6

So the site on the point? I assume you mean #6?

9/30/2015 5:34 pm  #7

Yes sir.  #6.   Stayed there a few times.  I really like that site.   Peel recomended the island.  If number 6 is taken then my second choice would be the south site in the island.  Spent many trips on that site as a kid.  Big open lots of room great big rock going down to the water and a cool surprise ;) lol.   The paddle up rain lake through the narrows is beautiful, I have seen a bald eagle twice while paddling through there.  Very cool
Ken

9/30/2015 5:36 pm  #8

South site on island is #8

9/30/2015 10:34 pm  #9

@Token
I'm heading in this Sat and wanted to stay at Penn until Tues. What are your thoughts on whether the colors will peak there during that time. I know the temperatures are dropping which should speed things.

Hoping you see a blaze of fire on Rain

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

10/01/2015 8:08 am  #10

I ended up sleeping in this morning for some reason (just got out of bed!) Those colors at Achray are brilliant! I would be very happy to see that on a trip! I might head out this afternoon or maybe tomorrow morning for a single night

10/01/2015 8:57 am  #11

Thing to remember with the east end is that although there are hardwoods, they are species (birch, poplar etc) that tend to turn later than the maples of the west side, and also the area is a good 200m or so lower in elevation than the corridor or west end; so for both those reasons the colours there would come later. Note that John's picture from Achray is from last October, and last year's peak (I assume they adjudicate it on Hwy 60?) was September 25. Also note that on the Ontario Parks report ( http://www.ontarioparks.com/fallcolour ) Algonquin is reporting 70% colour change, while Bonnechere PP (closer to Achray than Hwy 60 is) is only reporting 20% colour change, although to be fair Bonnechere's last report was a few days older.

None of which is a reason not to go to Achray of course, just that if you're looking for peak colour, the timing might be better for Rain etc.

10/01/2015 10:17 am  #12

East side fall color can be very late some years... paddling on Grand lake on Nov 1, 2005, poplars were peaking there with some still being lime-green. I have no idea why there's such variability year to year, since shorter day length is one of the reasons leaves change color. Maybe there wasn't enough sunlight that year to break down green chlorophyll. Sugar maples seem to be more predictable esp with the park's west side info.

PS... cloudy weather and rain forecast this weekend so that may delay sugar maples peaking even more...

10/01/2015 3:19 pm  #13

I was on Penn last weekend and the colours were really just starting to turn. They were certainly farther behind the rest of the park that we passed on our way down HWY 60. I would think by this weekend or the next that they might show some better colours.

10/04/2015 2:56 pm  #14

Well for since they will be closing the gate to Grand Lake after this weekend I am going to make a trip in tomorrow for a single night. I am really looking forward to it! I probably wont go if this head cold gets any worse so fingers crossed.

10/04/2015 8:01 pm  #15

Token Grand will be open next weekend I think - and you can always walk in after that the way I read it - or choose a different point on the Road - like lower in the Canyon - to enter.

It is getting more yellow/orange in my neck of the woods.

Last edited by ChristineCanoes (10/04/2015 8:01 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.