You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/29/2015 9:44 am  #1

A few days out of Canoe

This weekend, I took a few days to try out my new kayak on a "Canoe Trip" style backcountry experience.  Some would call it "Yakpacking," but that word just sounds silly, so I don't.

Leaving around 1pm from the access point,  I encountered lots of people on the #401 portage between Canoe and Joe.  We got buzzed by two large military planes.  One person recognized me from my Youtube Channel and thanked me for my video on the Hennesy Hammock.

I made great time, landing at my camp site on the farthest reaches of Little Joe East by 3pm.  The first night, I was in the hammock by 8pm basically bored.  I expected to find very little in the way of firewoord, and that's what I found.

Day 2, I skipped my first two portages, choosing to get my feet wet, but found myself in Lost Joe, rather than Baby Joe.  Wading a little more, I walked up to Baby Joe, where I met another solo kayaker.  It turns out, it was Larry, who I had met with Rob, on Rock Lake two autumns ago.  We quickly surmized that we were on the same loop, staying on the same lakes, on the same nights.  We joined forces for the next two days.  Soon into Burnt Island, my camera batteries died.

We worked our way up to Sunbeam, through Jay, an unnamed pond, and Treefrog.  The portages were challenging, but we made it.  Larry was wheeling and leepfrogging it, and I was double-carrying.  We were pretty evenly matched on each portage.

We took to separate island sites on Sunbeam.  I was visited by a beaver in the evening, which was a hair-riasing experience, as bushes 10m away were shaking and swaying violently.

We met up the next morning and headed to Ashter Pond.  I skipped the 275m portage to Wilow, opting to get my feet a little wet and muddy.  Crossing a total of 3 bever dams, a log, and some shalows, I made it to the end of the portage by the time Larry made his first trip across.  He reported the portage had a 9m rise in the middle.

We paddled Willow, and portaged to Kooy Pond, which we renamed "Gooey Pond"  The water was almost gone, and we couldn't get to the water through the mud.  We stopped for lunch, portaged around Gooey pond, and portaged to Bartlett.  

The wind was up - way up - on Bartlett, and Tom Thomson.  The Kayaks didn't mind one bit.  8-12" waves broke on the bows, but we carried on easily.

A large bever dam dropped us into Little Doe.  I set course for ramming speed and shot the dam.  A quick hang up, and a couple scooches and I weas over.  Larry followed and we were off.   Little Oxtongue river was just as windy, but we made it to the southernmost sites.

We parted company as he set up camp, and I carried on, across Tepee L to Arowhon Camp, hoping to find a cantean where I could possibly get some batteries.  After a brief altercation with someone there, I carried on, whithout batteries to a site on the narrows between Tepee and Joe.

I had a bad feeling about the site, and just couldn't settle.  I ate supper, packed up and set off for the access point at 6:30.  The skay was clear, the full moon was about to rize, and the water was calm.  No problem.  I had read of people enjoying night paddling.

By the time I got to the portage to Canoe, it had clouded over, making it darker earlier, and the wind and waves were up.  And did I mention it was dark?

A nervous hour or so later, I arrived at the access point at 9pm.

I'll post a video, and full trip report later, but I wanted to drop in here first.

9/29/2015 12:15 pm  #2

Re: A few days out of Canoe

Thanks for sharing the trip report!

I'm glad you made it out safe in the dark. We had a similar experience this year where we got to a site, pitched the tent and started unpacking before re-packing and heading out a day early. I don't know but sometimes sites just "feel wrong." This summer was the first time it happened to me and I would have just toughed it out but when you're only a few hours paddle from the access point (we still had enough light luckily), why suffer through it. We don't have anything to prove to anyone. 

9/29/2015 6:51 pm  #3

I'm glad you had a good trip. How did your new kayak work for you? I'm looking forward to your video.

I had the same thing happen to me last year I stopped at a site on Pen that looked good, but I couldn't shake a bad feeling about it. I finally decided to move on to another site.

9/30/2015 10:04 am  #4

solo_lesta wrote:

We parted company as he set up camp, and I carried on, across Tepee L to Arowhon Camp, hoping to find a cantean where I could possibly get some batteries.  After a brief altercation with someone there, I carried on, whithout batteries to a site on the narrows between Tepee and Joe.

Curious about the details of the "altercation". 

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

10/01/2015 9:27 am  #5

I encountered a couple pushing a stroller.  I clearly asked what kind of place this is.  He was so vague that i didnt even think he understood what i was asking.

When i said i was looking for some sort of canteen/store he said theres one if i just go around the corner, but didn't point in any direction.

I went off to find some actual staff as the couple wandered into the tenis courts

When i opened the door to the main building, i hear the guy from the tenis court start freaking right out. "Hey, this is private property, you cant go in there!"

So i yelled back that he could have told me that right away and i would have been on my way.

I dont know if these were patrons, or people looking after the place for a free stay or what.

It could be part of the reason i couldnt settle when i got to my site.

When I asked "what kind of place is this?" He should have told me 'its a private camp, closwd to the public, theres no store here, and you can rest a minute here and be on your way please'

Im sure we both feel the other was a jackass.

10/02/2015 11:30 am  #6

I think I know exactly which site you're referring to.  I wouldn't want to stay there either.  Every time I pass through that spot I ask myself "Who would ever want to stay there?"  There's quite a few terrible sites along that section of the oxtongue. I know the one time I was supposed to stay on that lake I checked numerous sites and couldn't find anything I was willing to stay on and did the same as you, kept on heading to the boat launch.

Weird story with the camp on Teepee.  I've never heard of there being any sort of store there, and generally speaking these places aren't open to the public. But yeah still no need for him to be a dick and yell at you.

Anyways, looking forward to the video  Hopefully you stil managed to film lots even with a shortage of batteries.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.