You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/09/2018 11:30 am  #358

Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

I appreciate the posts regarding Brent Road and Cedar Lake. I have a 7-night solo trip planned to start from there on Saturday. The access road is less of a concern since my Grand Cherokee has the upgraded adventure II off-road package. I am not so confident Scott Kevlar canoe is capable of breaking ice! 

Live Outside
www.OutsidewithClyde.com

5/09/2018 11:31 am  #359

Marko_Mrko wrote:

Splakin wrote:

Why close the backpacking trails? Unless they're flooded out, which I can see time to time. They remained open 2 years ago during the 2nd back country closure. 

I think the backpacking trails can get really wrecked in the early season as the ground is very soft. Maybe that's the reason?

Many years ago I did the outer loop of the Highland Trail at a time when the snow had melted other than a patch here or there and we camped on Harness Lake which was still frozen over.  I don't have any recollection of the trail being exceptionally muddy though I am sure there were some muddy spots and wet spots.  It was a great trip and I am annoyed that I (and other people) can never have this experience again.

5/09/2018 12:56 pm  #360

Well I have backpacked 2-3rd week of April thru to 2-3rd week of May. Back to back weekends, or every other weekend. Thurs-Sun sorta speak, for the past 21 years. The only problem I've encountered was the Oxtongue river being flooded right out at the WUT bridge. But other then that, there's always blow downs. Just adds to the adventure. Fortunate enough to see actual ice out 4 times which is really cool. But sadly will never see again with the suspended spring permits. IMO people that are going to use the park in this time frame are veterans. By that I mean experienced outdoors men/women who've done it before. Know what to expect and adapt to the conditions. If your prepared for anything your weekend will always be awesome. I went canoeing last year May 3-7th. Rained for 3 straight days and then turned to snow the last 2 days. Was one of the best trips I've ever had. Fishing too! A bad day in Algonquin is always better then a day at work!  I'm just peeved because I got the green light to go away 3 weekends or 5-6 day trip in the mix (from the wife) starting with the trout opener. Mother nature can be a pain. lol Now just have Fri till Sun as I should rush home being Mother's day in all. 

I'm just gone Fishin!

5/09/2018 1:47 pm  #361

Well I just brought home two fresh Algonquin Specks for supper tonight! I wonder if I'm the first of the year haha
I caught 8-10 of them but I took two injured ones

Last edited by ATVenture (5/09/2018 1:52 pm)

5/09/2018 2:21 pm  #362

Sweetness, that's awesome! Can't wait........

I'm just gone Fishin!

5/09/2018 2:43 pm  #363

Environment Canada is reporting a temperature of 26C at the East Gate and it is only forecast to go down to 12C tonight.

5/09/2018 2:48 pm  #364

Park lake is now totally thawed. 

I'm just gone Fishin!

5/09/2018 2:48 pm  #365

re-phase that. Fork lake

I'm just gone Fishin!

5/09/2018 2:54 pm  #366

What a difference from May 7th to 8th too.

Uppa wrote:

Getting there!

5/09/2018 3:37 pm  #367

Anyone with any news on Brent-Cedar Lake? As of last Sunday (6th of May) the Brent Office says they are planning on opening for May 11 this Friday. 

What makes no sense, is that Opeongo was delayed till the 15th today when in fact Opeongo is further ahead with less ice then Cedar?? But no delay or news on Cedar? What??

5/09/2018 3:47 pm  #368

totally agree sdmoulto

Im concerned as I am leaving to drive to Brent tomorrow assuming it will open Friday morning but it looks further behind Opeongo...

Very confusing. Really don't want to get to Mattawa and have to turn around and come back to another access point

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

5/09/2018 4:55 pm  #369

Coureur des Biere wrote:

totally agree sdmoulto

Im concerned as I am leaving to drive to Brent tomorrow assuming it will open Friday morning but it looks further behind Opeongo...

Very confusing. Really don't want to get to Mattawa and have to turn around and come back to another access point

Its very confusing and stressful eh! This mornings announcement made no sense to me! Opeongo in all reality will likely be open by Friday or Saturday at the LATEST, but Cedar looks a little bit further behind but its supposed to open Friday! Dont know why they delayed Opeongo till Tuesday the 15th when likely it will be open by the 11th or 12th? And no news on Cedar? beats me lol

5/09/2018 6:04 pm  #370

sdmoulto wrote:

Coureur des Biere wrote:

totally agree sdmoulto

Its very confusing and stressful eh! This mornings announcement made no sense to me! Opeongo in all reality will likely be open by Friday or Saturday at the LATEST, but Cedar looks a little bit further behind but its supposed to open Friday! Dont know why they delayed Opeongo till Tuesday the 15th when likely it will be open by the 11th or 12th? And no news on Cedar? beats me lol

Couldn't agree more. IMHO the park staff really blew it with today's announcement. It was ambiguous, lacking in solid information and read as if it was hastily put together. As noted above, Cedar Lake is way behind Opeongo and we know from ATVenture that the road is rough. Customers calling today reported that they were getting better info from me and my colleagues than they were from the park info line (because we read AA and other info!). One fellow reported that he somehow got connected to the VC and the staff person there informed him that there will be a flight tomorrow, which confirms my suspicions. Watch for a revised APP update tomorrow afternoon.

Oops, somehow psoted this under my old account. Gord from AO here.

Last edited by Gord Baker (5/09/2018 6:05 pm)

5/09/2018 8:02 pm  #371

Is there anyone we can complain to about this ice? I mean it's just ridiculous..unless we can canoe this Tuesday AND get ice for our bourbon. So conflicted.

5/10/2018 4:35 am  #372

Okay, I'll man up and say I was wrong -- it didn't happen by Wednesday. But at least we got an . . . as Gord aptly put it 'ambiguous' messsage about the opening on the 11th! Guess we just show up and see what happens, so long as we're not trying to access from Opeongo? That's my plan anyway. Oh well, all part of the adventure! 

It seems to me half the problem with ice out page on the AP site is that some parts of the post are updated every few days while other paragraphs/sections are left intact. I mean does anybody actually read it through from start to finish before posting to ensure consistency and clarity? 

5/10/2018 5:42 am  #373

The Brent road is now good to go. 

This is the biggest obstacle on the Brent Road and I was fine in my tiny car.

The water was up to the bottoms of my doors but the bottom is solid so no worries, not the worst ive been through thats for sure.

Last edited by ATVenture (5/10/2018 5:45 am)

5/10/2018 5:47 am  #374

perrythomas wrote:

Is there anyone we can complain to about this ice? I mean it's just ridiculous..unless we can canoe this Tuesday AND get ice for our bourbon. So conflicted.

Well I had ice for my square tails to rest on before hitting the BBQ at home which was a bonus!

Last edited by ATVenture (5/10/2018 5:47 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.