You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2018 9:22 am  #1

2018 Ice Out Predictions?

OK.
I don't know about others, but I keep logging on to check to see if someone has started a topic on this yet...
I guess no one is as antsy as myself, or perhaps all of you that are, were laying in wait for someone else to start the thread!?

I looked into my crystal ball and the date that was showing was April 16th. 

2/23/2018 10:06 am  #2

Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

Feb. 28th :-(

2/23/2018 10:13 am  #3

I started getting antsy for ice-out before this year ever began ;)

I'm usually pretty okay with the time off from camping, but not this winter - I just want to get back out there. Way too early to make any kind of realistic prediction, but I'll say... April 23rd. And they'll allow camping permits starting Friday, April 27th. 

3/01/2018 8:10 am  #4

I say April 12th.
I have a feeling its going to be early this year. There is less than 1/4 the snow on the ground right now vs. the same time last year. And looking at the visitor center webcam the scene looks similar to mid April 17', i think we are at least a month ahead of schedule right now.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/virtual/webcam/index.php

Just opened the webcam again and there was even more snow loss yesterday by the looks of it. I haven't been on highway 60 since January but am really curious to check it out.. maybe on the weekend.

-I was just browsing recent photos posted to facebook from the corridor and it looks like the highway doesn't even have noticable snowbanks left? 

Last edited by ATVenture (3/01/2018 8:20 am)

3/01/2018 9:30 am  #5

I was in the Park Tuesday.  Not much snow around in some areas.  Large portions of the airfield were free of snow, reminded me of conditions in early April.  No snow left on the lakes.  Really no open water except in the usual spots.  Tea Lake open maybe 50-70 metres above the dam.  Smoke Creek completely open and open about 20 metres into Smoke Lake.  North Madawaska River at LTR marsh still socked in with ice but there was about a 30 metre stretch of open water near where the South Madawaska comes into LTR. South Mad also frozen from section seen from airfield.  Some open water at East Beach where LTR empties back into Madawaska which was open as far as you could see from the boat launch downstream.

Last edited by Tripper (3/01/2018 9:30 am)

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

3/03/2018 8:43 am  #6

Another good sign :
"March 1, 2018There were a few more early signs of spring again this week. First sightings of Canada GooseHerring Gull and European Starling were notably early. Northern Shrikes at km 38 (February 22) and the Western Uplands Backpacking Trail parking lot (February 27) may have been individuals moving back northward. And Blue Jays and Pine Siskins were observed courtship feeding."
-http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/algonquin_park_birding_report.php

3/03/2018 9:41 am  #7

Ice-out April 17, permits available Fri Apr 20.

3/03/2018 2:17 pm  #8

I'm thinking ice off on  April 16, permits available Friday May 18, due to the posiblity of rain and slippery rocks.

Moonman.

3/04/2018 8:44 am  #9

Moonman wrote:

I'm thinking ice off on  April 16, permits available Friday May 18, due to the posiblity of rain and slippery rocks.

Moonman.

Don't want any city folk slipping and scraping a shin, or worse a knee!

Last edited by ATVenture (3/04/2018 8:47 am)

3/04/2018 12:15 pm  #10

April 6th,

If you go to MODIS imagery and look at the satellite images Lake Simcoe and the Kawartha Lakes are already opening up, usually doesn't happen until early April. 

3/04/2018 2:01 pm  #11

ATVenture wrote:

Speaking as a city folk, I have scraped my knees - more than once! - in Algonquin. Do you think I've got grounds for a lawsuit?

Also rocks keep damaging my kayak. I'm considering a petition to have them removed. 

3/04/2018 3:28 pm  #12

Uppa wrote:

ATVenture wrote:

Speaking as a city folk, I have scraped my knees - more than once! - in Algonquin. Do you think I've got grounds for a lawsuit?

Also rocks keep damaging my kayak. I'm considering a petition to have them removed. 

This so reminds me of this trip report from last Spring from ManCamping.ca - http://www.mancamping.ca/tattler-lake-algonquin-park-ice-out-trip-2017/ I get a good chuckle out of it every time. 

3/04/2018 3:33 pm  #13

clipper paddler wrote:

April 6th,

If you go to MODIS imagery and look at the satellite images Lake Simcoe and the Kawartha Lakes are already opening up, usually doesn't happen until early April. 

I was told today that ice fishing on Simcoe is essentially done as of today because the shore line is breaking up. Most access points are open water at least a few feet before the ice starts basically, but apparently some people are still finding ways to get out there.. I heard if you do find a way out there is only 12 inches left at most. I also heard Rice Lake will be open in the next couple of weeks, and the Kawarthas wont be far behind.

Last edited by ATVenture (3/04/2018 3:33 pm)

3/04/2018 10:51 pm  #14

patience grass hopper  

3/05/2018 8:31 am  #15

I wanted to go back to past year ice-out threads to look at the satellite imagery for comparison's sake... and there isn't any. So that I don't have the same problem next year, here's how things look on March 4th:

3/05/2018 8:35 am  #16

We are WAY ahead of "March 20" last year thats for sure.

Last edited by ATVenture (3/05/2018 8:36 am)

3/05/2018 2:54 pm  #17

Normally I'd be all over the ice out discussion .. .but I just don't feel like I've got enough skiing in this year ... I bought my kids cross country skis and they like it a lot so we'd like 1 or 2 more outings either cross country or downhill ... then I'll feel satisfied. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.