You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/22/2015 8:13 am  #1

Fall behavioural changes - Algonquin Wildlife?

Hey everyone!

I'll be heading into the Algonquin backcountry in 2 weeks for my first fall canoe trip. I was wondering if there are any significant behavioural changes in regards to the moose and bears? I always hope to see moose (and keep an eye out for bears) on backcountry trips and always skeep my distance when I do have an encounter. Anything I should be aware of for this time of year?

Thank you!

9/22/2015 8:42 am  #2

Re: Fall behavioural changes - Algonquin Wildlife?

Male moose could still be in rut... keep your distance from those big brutes otherwise be prepared to climb a tree or run into the water. Useless fact for the day... (well, maybe not so useless if you risk pounded to a pulp)... moose are the most dangerous wildlife in Canada... another, a moose rocking it's antlers is about to charge... that means back off, buddy.

Good luck.

9/22/2015 8:53 am  #3

There would definitely be some rutting activity going on two weeks from now. Of course aside from worrying about it, you can also use the rut to your advantage by calling moose to increase your chances of a sighting. Watch hunting videos to learn how, it's a standard tactic.

By the way, that statistic about moose being the most dangerous wildlife in Canada... how much of the body count is from cars hitting them?

9/22/2015 9:07 am  #4

If your trip runs well into the first full week of October, you could run into preparations by the Algonquin Moose Harvest Management Plan's moose hunters for the sanctioned hunt that starts on Oct. 13th this year.

Moose Season Dates
Harvesting inside Algonquin Park for moose shall begin in October, the Tuesday following Thanksgiving Day of each year.
Adult Bull, October to January 15
Cow, October to December 20
Calf, October to January 15
Harvesting will be shut down inside and outside of the park after quotas have been reached.

(Reference: http://www.algonquinsofpikwakanagan.com/harvest_moose_deer.php )

9/22/2015 9:20 am  #5

Dan,

"By the way, that statistic about moose being the most dangerous wildlife in Canada... how much of the body count is from cars hitting them?"

Fatalities will include highway accidents, OTOH in terms of attacks on humans I believe moose are the most dangerous. Quick google and moose wiki shows this... gotta run, haven't got time to find the actual wildlife attack numbers. Actually IIRC dogs attack and kill most but they are not wildlife.

---------------------------------------------

Aggression

Moose are not usually aggressive towards humans, but can be provoked or frightened to behave with aggression. In terms of raw numbers, they attack more people than bears and wolves combined...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose

9/22/2015 4:08 pm  #6

By no means would I recommend using any immitation or call during the rut with Moose.  A bull bugle may attract a dominant adult bull intent on defending his turf with raw aggression.  A cow call may attract a hormone-filled bull looking to mate.  In either case, to be on the receiving end of such a visitor would be a situation I would recommend you avoid.  Moose are faster than you on land and in the water and should be given a wide berth - especially this time of year.

In fact, I would recommend making noise when in confined areas such as a winding river or a portage; moreso to alert any potential Moose in the area of your presence (and, hopefully, they will realize you are not a threat or a love interest).  

I have a much lower level of concern with Black Bears.  The behavior of Black Bears in the Autumn is quite similar to summer months - they are actively trying to consume as much food as possible to bulk up for their long nap ahead.  The only difference might be that they are combing the woods for protein-rich nuts instead of the summertime visits to the berry patches that have now been picked over by a variety of wildlife.

9/23/2015 8:47 am  #7

MELBA, IS THAT YOU?

ARE YOU IN THE MOOD?  HEH, HEH, HEH...

Last edited by frozentripper (9/23/2015 8:52 am)

9/23/2015 10:12 am  #8

DanPM wrote:

There would definitely be some rutting activity going on two weeks from now. Of course aside from worrying about it, you can also use the rut to your advantage by calling moose to increase your chances of a sighting. Watch hunting videos to learn how, it's a standard tactic.

By the way, that statistic about moose being the most dangerous wildlife in Canada... how much of the body count is from cars hitting them?

The last thing I would want to do is "call" for moose to attract them to me.  Unless I was hunting.

Crazy hormonal beasts they are during the rut.  Cranky, and very fast-moving.

Female moose with offspring are also very protective. 

One is well-advised to stay as far away as possible.  You can't outrun or out-swim them.

Use a really good zoom lens instead of getting too close.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

9/23/2015 11:11 am  #9

Great info everyone. Thank you!

9/23/2015 3:47 pm  #10

We have a Moose Festival around here. The results of the moose lottery are read.  There is also a moose calling contest. Its held in a village so the chances of a moose being attracted in  are minimal.. But yet during the calling contest most of the audience looked really nervous.. The calls were good and the audience unarmed.

9/24/2015 9:40 am  #11

This brave man is provoking a male moose by rocking his arms like antlers in a threat display... notice he's also got a beer in his hand, maybe a peace offering but I guess moose don't find beer enough of a distraction when they're totally sex-crazed. I suppose when the moose finally drops his antlers later on in the fall, he'll be able to relax and have a beer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlgoZpuGDFQ

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.