You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/01/2017 12:17 pm  #1

Wich tents keep the bugs and rain out.

Did my first backcountry canoe trip and my tent flooded and was swarmed inside and out with all types of diffrent species of bugs. Need an upgrade. Most of of my trips will be done in algonquin with portaging so nothing heavy. Is every going to say msr ?

YG2D

7/01/2017 12:40 pm  #2

Re: Wich tents keep the bugs and rain out.

This is what I have been using all season thus far - https://www.amazon.ca/Naturehike-Seasons-Ultralight-Waterproof-silicone/dp/B00VWX0BFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498930799&sr=8-1&keywords=naturehike

It's a direct replica of a $400 Big Agnes tent. I've used it in downpours and literal sideways rain during a thunderstorm, not a single drop of water inside. ;-)

It's a perfect size for your solo trips as well, It's actually almost slightly too small for me and my 70lb dog.

Last edited by ATVenture (7/01/2017 12:41 pm)

7/01/2017 7:01 pm  #3

Any tent should keep bugs out unless it's ripped, but there's still the problem that you have to get in and out of it... and in really buggy conditions, that means letting plenty of the little buggers in with you. Don't open the door any more than you absolutely have to, and plug the opening with your body as much as possible. Then once you're inside and the zipper is closed, remorselessly murder everything that slipped in with you. Except other people and pets of course. 

Water is a whole other story, in that you mostly get what you pay for. Setting the tent up properly and picking a good spot are both very important when bad weather is coming, but a crap tent remains a crap tent. If you're on a budget, you can always rig a tarp over your tent to save a new purchase. Applying seam sealer to the seams of your tent and fly is something that can also help a great deal (that applies to really any tent). 

Everyone isn't going to say MSR - there are lot of good options out there. But I'm a big fan of MSR products and I use one of their tents (Hubba Hubba NX), and would definitely recommend it. My first trip this year was two days of constant rain followed by two days of snow, and my tent was flawless through it.

7/02/2017 6:10 am  #4

Uppa wrote:

remorselessly murder everything that slipped in with you. Except other people and pets of course. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one to engage in this part of the protocol.

7/02/2017 8:14 am  #5

Uppa wrote:

Any tent should keep bugs out unless it's ripped, but there's still the problem that you have to get in and out of it... and in really buggy conditions, that means letting plenty of the little buggers in with you. Don't open the door any more than you absolutely have to, and plug the opening with your body as much as possible. Then once you're inside and the zipper is closed, remorselessly murder everything that slipped in with you. Except other people and pets of course. 

Water is a whole other story, in that you mostly get what you pay for. Setting the tent up properly and picking a good spot are both very important when bad weather is coming, but a crap tent remains a crap tent. If you're on a budget, you can always rig a tarp over your tent to save a new purchase. Applying seam sealer to the seams of your tent and fly is something that can also help a great deal (that applies to really any tent). 

Everyone isn't going to say MSR - there are lot of good options out there. But I'm a big fan of MSR products and I use one of their tents (Hubba Hubba NX), and would definitely recommend it. My first trip this year was two days of constant rain followed by two days of snow, and my tent was flawless through it.

I have to agree with Uppa...  I previously had a 4 person tent which was trying to be all things for all types of trips (family camping and interior portaging)...  We did it, but a couple years ago I finally thought it too much and bought the MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 person - Nice and light, no water issues, and great packed size...  They have even lighter models than this, but they didn't seem as sturdy to me if used in a wind storm...  Think you're a solo tripper, where I think they make a 1 person version also...

😃

7/03/2017 9:01 am  #6

I've had and used several tents from MEC and they have all been fantastic.  The Monadnock and North Wind are insanely weather resistant although a bit heavy as they are 4 season tents.  The Tarn models are lighter and have been very weather proof as well. 

7/03/2017 8:48 pm  #7

The same as Steve, had a north wind 4 season for 10 years, then in a windstorm the fly tore and pole broke. Now have the MEC northwind 2.5 and love it. Much lighter, 3 season, and a very roomy vestibule. We portage lots, but the slightly heavier weight does not bother me.
We just purchased a Vango Mirage 2 directly from Scotland due to the exchange rate with English pounds currently it's very affordable and waterproof fly at 5000mm which is high.  Can't wait to try that one out! Lots of different tents in but also outside of Canada.
So lots of choices, it depends on what you want in a tent. For us being dry on multiple wet days in a row is important, and having dry gear is important to us too.

7/04/2017 10:22 am  #8

Do you trip alone? Have you considered a hammock?

7/04/2017 1:39 pm  #9

I just got a Hammock. It is comfortable but still getting use to it and then I may make the switch. Most of my trips will be solo. I looked into the first suggestion I received. The nature hike 2 man tent. Grey/white.
Seams like the way to go for now. Lots of good reviews and not one complaint about water getting in. It maybe more fragile not as durable maybe cheaper zippers and thinner material. But the price can't be beaten I just can't justify paying so much for an msr or big name brands. Of course time will tell if I regret it lol an experienced algonquin canoeist uses it and it works for him so it should be more then good enough for me. Thanks for all the suggestions and tips much appreciated.

YG2D

7/04/2017 4:12 pm  #10

i love my tarn 2 tent from mec,, bullet proof!!! plenty of room for one , two people (adults) would be a very tight fit.
    i also have a hammock. i find that the hammock hyper-extends my knee and i feel it over time,, also the taper of the hammock tends to roll my ankle inward, and that becomes uncomfortable,,, thirdly ,, the rain fly is too small and i get wet. i have read now,, that it is  recommended that a larger fly should be bought along with the hammock to solve this prob.   

7/05/2017 10:09 am  #11

Not the lightest, but Eureka El Capitan tents have a very heavy duty fly and solid floor (which to me are the most critical spots to have it) I have a 4P for group camping, and its bomb proof, simple, and comes in 2P and 3P sizes as well . . . reasonable cost for performance.

I also acquired a solo size Naturehike (grey silicone version), and my take is that it is somewhat fragile, but heard the Big Agnes versions are as well (ultralight will never be ultra durable)  That said, the fabric is great, and 100% water proof, its just the poles/zipper I'm cautious with, but solo, I see this as much less of a risk as its just me using it.  I'm 5'8" and its basically just a spot to sleep and store clothes, but I can sit up, and pivot around in it, so suits me well.

As with all tents, I would NOT use the footprint under the tent though, it'll collect water.  use it as a liner inside, and you're good to go.

7/06/2017 7:50 am  #12

I have a Tarn 3, slightly bigger version of Swede's tent. Great tent for the money, underrated due to one defective batch a few years ago (I got one of the lemons, which MEC was happy to replace with a good one).

What kind of tent were you using? Any tent in good condition should keep bugs and rain out, unless it's one of those things you see at Canadian Tire where the fly doesn't even fully cover it?

7/06/2017 10:47 am  #13

It was a Canadian tire tent lol and I think the nature hike will do just fine. Il be careful with it. Has its ups and downs we will see in a couple weeks when it arrives. I'm a solo camper and the specs seam to be good. Just hope there no defects when it arrives

YG2D

7/06/2017 1:17 pm  #14

I purchase the Tarn 3 from Kijiji.  MEC will not replace the fly because I am not the original owner.  I am not why this make a difference...Anyhow, I have re-installed the delaminated parts back on and will see if it hold up together.  I hope it does, at least in the rain. 

DanPM wrote:

I have a Tarn 3, slightly bigger version of Swede's tent. Great tent for the money, underrated due to one defective batch a few years ago (I got one of the lemons, which MEC was happy to replace with a good one).

What kind of tent were you using? Any tent in good condition should keep bugs and rain out, unless it's one of those things you see at Canadian Tire where the fly doesn't even fully cover it?

I also have a Marmot Limelight 3, this tent has been really good.  I strongly believe in good quality gear.  Good gear should not failed as opposed to cheap clone one.  Let us know how the tent hold up.
Sebastien

7/19/2017 10:32 am  #15

My nature hike cloudup2 came in the mail today. All parts seam to be here and setup was easy. I've only owned Canadian tire tents. Little tight for 2 people but this is alot lighter but more delicate. Not tested in the field yet but I did set it up and simulate rain with the water hose. The only problems I have so far is when the fly is wet and you begin to open it water drips in from the top. Wish it was a bit stiffer at that top section. No big deal. I also noticed while setting it up if you make your connections to tight the bottom side walls and corners begin to rise up. Still fiddling with it. My only real concern is the floor. It's so thin I can see right thru it and worried about water and condensation coming thru or a stick jabbing a hole thru it. I could put a ground tarp underneath but that will just gather water. If I put it on the inside a stick may poke thru. But maybe these are the prices you pay when buying lightweight tents. At the same time the price I paid for the tent was next to nothing compared to msr or eureka. I'm algonquin bound in 2 weeks.

Last edited by Curemd (7/19/2017 10:42 am)

YG2D

7/19/2017 2:22 pm  #16

@Curemd

I totally understand your concerns if this is your first time with a non-Canadian Tire tent. 

Did you have the tent fully pegged, including the guy lines? This should solve your problem of the corners rising and the water dripping in from the top. If you did have it fully pegged already, maybe experience with different angles on the guy lines? More technical tents really rely on that tension to make them perform to their best ability.

As for the thin floor, get a tent footprint (just a lightweight tarp that is cut to the same shape as your tent, the tent manufacturer will usually sell a coordinating footprint but you can also make your own) and trust that flimsy-looking fabric. The fabric they use for tents has come so far technically that it truly is nearly miraculous.

*all of this is based only on experience with tents in general; I've never tried the cloudup2*

7/19/2017 11:43 pm  #17

Curemd wrote:

...I could put a ground tarp underneath but that will just gather water...

Any footprint or tarp used as a groundsheet shouldn't gather water as long as the edges are under the tent. (ie: the dimensions of the footprint should be slightly smaller than that of the tent. If you want to be sure any water flows under rather than over the footprint, fold the edges around and under themselves an inch or two.

Personally, I rarely use a footprint due to the added weight and bulk. I just make a point of clearing the area where I set up of any stones, twigs, etc.

Dave

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.