You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2017 8:15 am  #1

Some Huge Brook Trout

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted on this site but just had to share. My 10 year old son and I were in the park May 9-20 and caught some really incredible brook trout. In 35 years of fishing the park I have never done this well before. A number of these fish were well over 5 pounds, a couple over 51/2. Problem is my kid thinks this is normal now LOL!

Here's a small sampling. (all big fish released to swim again )

5/27/2017 7:14 pm  #2

Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

John Connelly wrote:

Wow ! ........ What an amazing experience that must have been to share with your son !
Reminded of an old tune from the 70's ........ " These are the good old days "
Sure is refreshing ta see some monster specks from Algonquin !
Thanks for sharing those great pictures .

Thanks John, it really was an amazing experience. The fish obviously but also the trip itself. It was my son's first canoe trip and it wasn't an easy trek. Lots of real tough portages and lengthy days of paddling. I was super proud of him.

5/27/2017 8:19 pm  #3

Your son's first trip was an 11-day trip?  In May?  Wow, that's quite a little trooper you have there.  And nice fish, pretty amazing.

5/27/2017 9:40 pm  #4

fbeauregard wrote:

Your son's first trip was an 11-day trip?  In May?  Wow, that's quite a little trooper you have there.  And nice fish, pretty amazing.

We double carried because he can't carry as much, but still, he's 80lbs and his heavy pack was 50. He's a trooper for sure, chip off the old block LOL!

5/27/2017 11:02 pm  #5

Those are amazing specs! I suspect those are the biggest specs caught anywhere in the park this spring. Your timing this year was right. I went down the Nip and back up the Pet via the big lakes from Apr. 28 -  May10. Pretty awful weather and fishing. Congratulations to you and your son on a wonderful trip!

5/28/2017 5:52 am  #6

martin2007 wrote:

Those are amazing specs! I suspect those are the biggest specs caught anywhere in the park this spring. Your timing this year was right. I went down the Nip and back up the Pet via the big lakes from Apr. 28 -  May10. Pretty awful weather and fishing. Congratulations to you and your son on a wonderful trip!

Thanks Martin! And yeah we hit the lottery as far as weather and timing. I had a biologist suggest that numbers of fish that large haven't been caught in Algonquin in the last 50 years. That's probably a stretch, but I do know it's exceedingly rare. 

5/28/2017 6:11 am  #7

That's amazing. It's unusual to see 1 fish that large on a trip into Algonquin. You're in trouble next year trying to recreate that scene for your son. Although, having kids that age also, the trip itself is what they seem to really care about. Fish or no fish doesn't seem to matter. 

5/28/2017 7:22 am  #8

Holy $H!&! Now those are some brook trout!! I thought the 3LB brookie I caught on the opening day was big! Wow!!!

5/28/2017 7:23 am  #9

Jdbonney wrote:

That's amazing. It's unusual to see 1 fish that large on a trip into Algonquin. You're in trouble next year trying to recreate that scene for your son. Although, having kids that age also, the trip itself is what they seem to really care about. Fish or no fish doesn't seem to matter. 

I think you may be right, it's not likely to be repeated. It was all about the trip though, you're right about that too. My son is quite fortunate as since he's been real small he's accompanied me on fly in trips all over Canada (writing about those experiences is what I do for a living). This summer he's accompanying me to two different remote outposts in northern Manitoba, one in July and one in August. For most these are true "bucket list" type trips. You know what he said to me? He wanted to cancel the summer trips and go canoeing instead. Love this kid LOL!

Next year I'm going to take a month probably in August and do Quetico with him.  

5/28/2017 8:01 am  #10

ATVenture wrote:

Holy $H!&! Now those are some brook trout!! I thought the 3LB brookie I caught on the opening day was big! Wow!!!

I know, I know. I'm still pretty much in shock and awe.

5/28/2017 3:07 pm  #11

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Glad the fish were released and there is no mention of the lake. My best algonquintrip was 2specks about 5 lbs. Released of course ,single hook fishing too. But this was 10 yrs ago or more

5/28/2017 3:47 pm  #12

Antman wrote:

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Glad the fish were released and there is no mention of the lake. My best algonquintrip was 2specks about 5 lbs. Released of course ,single hook fishing too. But this was 10 yrs ago or more

It certainly was the trip of a lifetime! There could have been some delayed mortality, but I don't think so. I'm always real careful and would urge others to do the same. Fish is unhooked and left in the net, not flopping around in the boat. When we're ready it's removed for a quick photo then back in the net to revive it before it's released.

Everyone needs to be a guardian of the resource, these fish are far too fragile and valuable a resource.

5/28/2017 8:25 pm  #13

Wow! Thanks for sharing.  Some awesome memories with your son!!

And agreed don't share the location. Not even if I start begging :-).

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/28/2017 8:31 pm  #14

ShawnD wrote:

Wow! Thanks for sharing. Some awesome memories with your son!!

And agreed don't share the location. Not even if I start begging :-).

Thanks Shawn

Cheers

5/29/2017 10:03 am  #15

Thanks for sharing it was 40 years ago this year I went on my first trip into the park with my Dad I can remember it like it was yesterday we had 6 great years in the park before he past - away it was the greatest gift my Dad gave to me and I still fish some of the lakes today with great success your post brought me great joy thinking about the past  thanks again for sharing

Shawn G 

5/29/2017 12:17 pm  #16

Shawn G wrote:

Thanks for sharing it was 40 years ago this year I went on my first trip into the park with my Dad I can remember it like it was yesterday we had 6 great years in the park before he past - away it was the greatest gift my Dad gave to me and I still fish some of the lakes today with great success your post brought me great joy thinking about the past  thanks again for sharing

Shawn G 

Thanks Shawn! You're obviously someone who understands.

Cheers

5/29/2017 1:17 pm  #17

That is just awesome!! Thank you for sharing.  Memories that will last a lifetime for sure. Your son is very fortunate! 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.