You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/19/2015 8:43 am  #18

Re: Louisa, Rock, Welcome,etc. - clockwise or Cc?

So I am thinking we will do Louisa the first night, Harry's the second night, Penn the last night. If we arent fond of the sites on Harry's we will move on to Welcome because I know we are guarenteed good spots there.
We shouldnt have very long days right? We only want to be travelling a few hours per day, no more than 5 or so in a day.

9/19/2015 9:42 am  #19

I'm going to loop clockwise, so we'll cross paths at least once and maybe twice. I'll be travelling sunup till sundown but I'll decide on Saturday night how the weather forecast will affect my travel speed before committing to my camping lakes.

9/19/2015 10:24 am  #20

Depending on wind speed/direction we might change our route to clockwise as well.. If we do that we will just camp on Penn-Welcome/Harry's-Louisa-Out
Now that I think about it that might be best anyways, saving the longest portages for after we have eaten our fresh food. ;)

Last edited by token (9/19/2015 10:25 am)

9/19/2015 10:55 am  #21

Token did you paddle through Happy Isle in late August late in the day? If you didn't we met your twin boat/ dog combination.

9/19/2015 11:13 am  #22

ChristineCanoes wrote:

Token did you paddle through Happy Isle in late August late in the day? If you didn't we met your twin boat/ dog combination.

Wasn't me, never been to Happy Isle.

9/23/2015 5:58 am  #23

Token, I changed my departure date to Saturday so I'll be travelling clockwise through Loiusa, Pen, Harry, etc. on Sunday and camping on Rence that night.  Hope to see you there.

Question - can I pick up my permit at Canoe Lake for the Cache Lake access, or do I have to get it from the West Gate?  I haven't done a backcountry trip from a Highway 60 access point in 27 years.

9/23/2015 7:47 am  #24

The info on the FOAP map says Canoe Lake is the permit office for Cache Lake starts. Reading off the 2007 edition.

OK just realized Jeff has that info too, http://alg-v5.jmap.it/index.php?access=8

9/23/2015 5:19 pm  #25

I always get my Cache lake permits at Canoe Lake. You will be on Rence Sunday night? We are going to probably be on that lake Monday night!

Last edited by token (9/23/2015 5:20 pm)

9/23/2015 6:00 pm  #26

Thanks Dan, I didn't realize Jeff had that kind of detail on his website.

Token, depending on whether you travel clockwise or cc, we'll probably pass so I'll be sure to "flag" you down if I see the yellow/white canoe with the Canada flag paddle.  

If this weather system holds up, it likely won't be west or northwest winds so I may change my direction of travel to suit a south wind.  Mornings should be exceptionally calm for either direction though.

9/24/2015 4:29 am  #27

Predicting mostly SW winds so we will be travelling clockwise. Sunday night on Penn, Monday night on Rence, Tuesday night on Louisa.

9/25/2015 10:55 am  #28

Shawn what night will you be on Rence? If you will be on it Monday Night we will probably stay on Harry instead.

9/25/2015 11:14 am  #29

Sunday

9/25/2015 11:58 am  #30

If you are doing it clockwise that means we wont actually cross paths I guess? You'll be a day ahead of us.

9/25/2015 12:50 pm  #31

I'm doing one of my marathon loops, so I'll pass you on Pen on Sunday.  I'll be coming from Loiusa to Rock Sunday morning.

9/30/2015 7:22 am  #32

How did your trip go? We were camped on Penn Sunday by noon, I watched for you to go by but didn't see ya!

Last edited by token (9/30/2015 7:26 am)

9/30/2015 7:49 am  #33

Changed my loop at the last minute.  After spending Saturday night on McGarvey, I slowed down my pace to spend more time for fishing and photography, not that the results would support that decision!  Went up through Louisa and spent Sunday night on Pardee and Monday I detoured down Head Creek and up the Madawaska for a change of scenery.  I cut the Welcome loop out of my route and will instead do that trip next year.
The weather was fantastic, but you may have seen some rain I suspect.  How was your trip?  

9/30/2015 7:59 am  #34

My Self Reliance wrote:

Changed my loop at the last minute.  After spending Saturday night on McGarvey, I slowed down my pace to spend more time for fishing and photography, not that the results would support that decision!  Went up through Louisa and spent Sunday night on Pardee and Monday I detoured down Head Creek and up the Madawaska for a change of scenery.  I cut the Welcome loop out of my route and will instead do that trip next year.
The weather was fantastic, but you may have seen some rain I suspect.  How was your trip?  

Ours was good as well, we also made some modifications to our 'loop'. Someone told us on the portage into Penn that someone tried to get into Welcome Lake from Penn and the water was so low he would have had to drag the canoe through muck. My brother decided he didn't want to have to deal with this because it was fairly cold and windy. All in all it was actually kind of a let down so I think I'm going to go on a small solo trip today or tomorrow. It completely poured on us yesterday when we were just about to get on the water, wasn't that fun because it was quite windy as well.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.