You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/06/2015 8:32 pm  #1

Louisa, Rock, Welcome,etc. - clockwise or Cc?

Planning a late September loop from Cache, and part of my plan includes the aforementioned loop, entering Loiusa from North Grace.  Clockwise or counter clockwise?  I'm thinking clockwise, then back up through Pardee, Harness, etc.  Is this the best direction to deal with potential west or north winds and for the lengthy portages?
Anything else I should know about this route?  I'll be solo.

9/07/2015 8:39 pm  #2

Re: Louisa, Rock, Welcome,etc. - clockwise or Cc?

I would think clockwise is the best direction wind-wise, since it means going east on Louisa which is the biggest and longest lake on your trip. (And south on Pen.) I've never done the portages between Pen and Welcome but I've done both the Rock-Louisa and Florence-Louisa in both directions and didn't find there was a big difference. Maybe the Rock-Louisa is slightly better going east (clockwise) since the biggest slope is down to Rock Lake, but it's not a killer slope in either direction.

Stuff to know... well there are special fishing regulations for Rence, Harry and Welcome. If you want to find the somewhat inconspicuous petroglyphs on the Rock-Pen portage, and learn the cute history of how the archaeologists found them, read this http://www.ontarioarchaeology.on.ca/Resources/Publications/oa11-5-noble.pdf . The Picto Bay pictographs are just a short detour on Rock Lake if you have time, they're not impressively well-defined like Agawa Rock but it's a pretty cliff anyway. If you plan to fish Louisa, you might find this journal article interesting. http://www.harkness.ca/PDFs/Contributions%202000s/hetergeneity%20in%20habitat%20use%20of%20lake%20trout%202006.pdf

9/08/2015 5:12 am  #3

Thanks Dan, that's helpful.  I was unaware of the glyphs on the portage, and if time permits, I'll definitely seek them out.

9/08/2015 7:46 am  #4

Welcome-Louisa portages are uphill but not terribly so on old tote roads.  Louisa-Rock undulates generally downhill

We did that loop in  April 2012 and ran it clockwise. We did not have strong winds but had planned for them.. 

9/16/2015 7:18 am  #5

When are you leaving?
I am leaving On the 27th for Rock Lake and doing Louisa --> Welcome--> Penn-->Rock.
Does anyone know what the campsite on Frank's lake is like? We are trying to decide if we should stay on Frank's, Rence, Harry's, or Welcome on the second night?

9/16/2015 8:07 am  #6

I don't recall the campsite on Franks Lake . We went through there on the portage and I don't remember a beach
The eastern most campsite on Harry's is a spectacular beach campsite.

9/16/2015 9:49 am  #7

I'm planning on departing on the 27th as well, but I may adjust my dates last minute depending on weather, work, etc.  Token, how many nights are you doing?

I'm assuming nobody bothers reserving campsites in advance because it's unnecessary as there seems to be very few sites reserved.  As such, I may change my itinerary last minute as well.  

Right now my plan is; 27th - Little Coon, 28th - Pen, 29th - Pardee, 30th - home.  I may revise these lakes.

My loop (actually figure 8) is roughly Cache, Delano, Bonnechere, Big Porc, Whatnot, North Grace, Louisa, Rock, Pen, Welcome, Frank, Louisa, Pardee, Cache.

9/16/2015 10:08 am  #8

My Self Reliance wrote:

I'm assuming nobody bothers reserving campsites in advance because it's unnecessary as there seems to be very few sites reserved.  As such, I may change my itinerary last minute as well.

I would monitor campsite availability on the CAMIS website for the lakes/dates you and make the reservation if it's dwindling. I say this because a few years ago (no website available) I showed up without a reservation very close to the same date and was surprised to find I had to pick a different lake. Granted it was for a saturday, and the fully booked lake was Big Porc, so your mid-week trip through mostly deeper-in lakes probably won't have that issue... but keep in mind September 27 is the average fall colours peak, and the end of the month is last call for lake and brook trout.

9/16/2015 10:29 am  #9

Thanks for the heads up Dan.  I think it's probably a good idea to make the reservations now and then modify them last minute if necessary.

9/16/2015 10:51 am  #10

Did this loop in July. Debated on Frank,Rence, Harry Or Welcome for the Second night as well.

Landed on Rence. Most western site. Great site IMO.

Stopped on Frank for Lunch. A just OK site  wouldnt be my first choice.

Site on Rence

Last edited by ShawnD (9/16/2015 10:52 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

9/16/2015 11:00 am  #11

nice.  Looks like drying morning and evening sun, assuming it shines that day.  September is dewy.

9/16/2015 1:45 pm  #12

We are doing 3 nights 4 days. Louisa the first night and Penn the last for sure. Probably Harry's or Rence for the second!

9/16/2015 1:59 pm  #13

Many great sites on Louisa we stayed on the site circled in green. Very nice. 

Site in blue looked great but was taken.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

9/16/2015 2:01 pm  #14

I'm sure we'll cross paths.  What are you driving?  I'll be in a Swift Keewaydin in sage barracuda (my daughter disparagingly calls it sea foam green).

9/16/2015 5:17 pm  #15

My Self Reliance wrote:

I'm sure we'll cross paths.  What are you driving?  I'll be in a Swift Keewaydin in sage barracuda (my daughter disparagingly calls it sea foam green).

My brother and I will be in a Yellow/White 17' Swift Prospector with a German Shepherd/Collie mix dog. In case you are wondering I am the random person that added you on facebook the other day! (My name is Andrew)

I'll probably be using the canadian flag paddle.

Last edited by token (9/16/2015 5:22 pm)

9/16/2015 9:43 pm  #16

On Shawn D's map above, the two sites on either side of the "434" are both fine sites, too. The more western of those two slopes up quite a bit, though, making it difficult to find a place to rest your canoe. Still nice. The more eastern one has a huge open rock on which to watch the sunset. Very nice.

9/16/2015 9:55 pm  #17

LaLoche wrote:

The more eastern one has a huge open rock on which to watch the sunset. Very nice.

Yep.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.