You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2017 7:38 pm  #1

BIG PORCUPINE OR BUST!!!! LOL

I have never been into this lake and I have read many trip logs about the portage from Ragged Lake to Big Porc.  Although it is only 590m, I know that it is a very steep climb to Big Porc.

In your opinion, can someone my age (67) in FAIR/GOOD physical condition do this portage?  I know I will have to do at least 2-3 trips up this monstrous portage.  I think I can with plenty of time on my side.  Am I missing anything regarding this portage??  Also, would the recent torrential rain make this portage undoable??

Last edited by boknows (5/01/2017 7:40 pm)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

5/01/2017 7:44 pm  #2

Re: BIG PORCUPINE OR BUST!!!! LOL

There are videos you can watch on youtube of people doing the portage. It looks like a slow gradual incline (basically just stairs/steps up the whole way). So if you take a couple rests throughout the portage, I don't think it should be a problem. It didn't look like there were any steep sections or rough terrain

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/01/2017 8:03 pm  #3

Agreed. On my first trip south of Ragged I was worried,  when I heard it was called "the Devil's Staircase"!  But it's gradual and totally doable.  The hard one is the one further south from Little Coon Lake up to Whatnot lake, which I have seen referred to as the "Double Devil's Staircase". Luckily only descended that one.  

5/01/2017 8:12 pm  #4

Thanks trippythings and Methye for your comments.  I watched the videos and I definitely believe I will be able  to do this portage.

5/01/2017 9:33 pm  #5

+1.  It's really not that bad.  And it has stairs!  Nothing like the beast of a portage in Marie lake!

Big Porcupine is a nice lake.  Enjoy.

Fred

5/01/2017 10:53 pm  #6

Call me delusional, but I'm hoping I can still carry a pack and a boat at the same time when I turn 67!

5/02/2017 3:27 am  #7

Hi Bo .. I got into Big Porc back in June 2015 at the age of 67, with a trick knee and arch-supports! However, I confess to 'double-carrying' the 'staircase'. I've been told that the portage originally got its name from large rocks that made for 'giant-size steps' up the grade .. and that at some point, before my first visit up the portage in years prior, there were some serious improvements performed on the trail. However, the portage's old name persists.

5/02/2017 5:33 am  #8

Thanks Barry!  woot woot woot for us old timers!!!!

I am DEFINITELY not single carrying this portage.  At least two trips!  So it looks like it is a go for me!  All I need now is for a campsite on Big Porc or lakes around it because my White P trip failed and it is too late to make a reservation on Big Porc.  Hoping for the best!  And yes I hear the fishing is OK.

​And fbeauregard....I have done the portage into Marie.....when I hit the top of the hill, my knees were touching the ground with my canoe on my shoulders.  Talk about a leg and thigh buster!!!

​And Yellowcanoe.....yes at 67 I can still carry a pack and a LW canoe around 50 lbs. but my rate of progress going up hill is definitely a lot slower than what it used to be.

Last edited by boknows (5/02/2017 5:37 am)

5/02/2017 6:35 am  #9

Yes Bo you will have no problems on that portage. There are many in the park that I'm sure you have done that are worse. The start of the portage from Manitou to Three Mile for example is much worse, at least in my memories lol!

I will pm you some info on fishing in that area...

Moonman.

5/02/2017 7:55 am  #10

I didn't make it all the way up just carrying the canoe and a day pack last spring!

The portage is nice and wide, no big tripping hazards but it is a LONG climb up. 

5/02/2017 11:54 am  #11

Bo,   son and I have done that portage 20 times,   do yourself a favour carry canoe about 1/2 up,  used to be a log across two trees or find a fork in a tree and leave canoe,   go back and carry pack all the way over and whatever other lose gear you have and 1/2 way back for canoe,  that is how son and I did it every trip.  I would carry canoe 1/2 way, he carried first pack all the way up, I would go back and get second pack carry to canoe and we would go from there,  saved us some time.    from put in at Smoke to campisite on Big Porc you should be roughly 4 1/2 - 5 hours.    canoe around from upper Porc to lower Porc.   and if EARLY morning start Smoke should be fairly calm.    we never fished on the way in but got to camp and fished that afternoon.       tried the fising on way in thing but after a couple of snags and going back to get $10. lure with a full canoe didn't take long to stop that exercise.  

send me a PM for some spots to fish in that area,  have a spot for specks and Lakers.    Cheers.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.