You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2017 8:46 am  #1

Galipo Lakes

Long time lurker, first time poster. (May I add, this site has been very informative in past trips!)

I am heading into the park 15-20 May, we are a group of 4 fairly experienced paddlers. We will be doing the Rock, Louisa, Rence, Pen loop with an emphasis on fishing. I have done this loop before, and Lake Louisa has sort of become an annual May fishing trip. We will be staying on Louisa for 2 nights, Rence for one night and Pen for 2 nights.

Question: I would like to know more information on the Galipo lakes via Galipo River if anyone has been there. I would like to visit these lakes but the visit will occur on a travel day. Jeff's maps estimate a 3 hour travel length (6 hours there and back), but this can be affected by beaver dams, water levels (high or low) etc...

Obviously we would like to fish there too. On your collective opinions, do you think this is feasible? I also realize fishing information is not to be shared about small lakes like the Galipos, but pictures of brookies are always appreciated!

4/22/2017 4:00 pm  #2

Re: Galipo Lakes

Rence, Harry and Welcome are among the specially managed lakes for "trophy" brookies. Special restrictions on size, numbers and bait apply. I'm mostly saying this to make sure you don't accidentally run afoul of the law but it also gives you a hint about what to expect from the fish.

The section between Rence and Harry is pretty smooth going. Haven't been through to Welcome.

Last edited by DanPM (4/22/2017 4:01 pm)

4/22/2017 4:09 pm  #3

BRING YOUR FISHING RODS!!

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/24/2017 7:53 am  #4

Thanks for the info! I usually double check the fishing regs when planning a trip like this. I read somewhere that Welcome lake is a research lake which have Brook trout with acoustic tags. I would release any fish with a tag, but if the fish is too unhealthy to be released, are there any rules or laws forbidding me to keep this fish?

Also I guess if there are trophy sized brookies so close to camp, there wouldn't be a need to rush and travel to the Galipo lakes, I'll save those for an other time and truly explore the area.

4/24/2017 11:51 am  #5

No rules for not keeping a tagged fish unless it is under sized in Welcome, Harry and Rence!

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.