You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/02/2015 8:16 am  #1

Bald eagle on Opeongo

We didn't get any photos, but we saw a bald eagle on Opeongo, the East Arm.

We were swimming, and it was enjoying floating above us.  Stayed over us for a while, then flew off.

This happened last week.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

9/02/2015 8:31 am  #2

Re: Bald eagle on Opeongo

I've often wondered if the presence of cormorants would be a precursor to more raptors reappearing. It appears that bald eagles do prey on cormorants, so if bald eagles were taking up residence around Opeongo, it could act as a population control on the cormorants. 

9/02/2015 10:13 am  #3

I hadn't thought of the cormorant connection... I thought bald eagles eat mostly fish, so if cormorants had any effect on them it would be a negative one. But RobW could be right. In any case it's very nice to see the resurgence of bald eagles in the area, which I had assumed was mostly the result of pollution controls paying off in the long run. I used to think of bald eagles as simply not present in central Ontario in the summer, and now I seem to see one on most visits to Algonquin, though it's still exciting when I get a close or interesting sighting.

On my recent trip to Ragged Lake we saw a crow harassing an eagle on the wing.

9/02/2015 10:36 am  #4

Bald Eagles eat loon chicks too.  They have been helping keeping the loons from having any success here.  Nature is a double edged sword.
I watched an eagle snatch a backriding chick off its mother last year. Why the loon was below a very large nest of eagle chicks and multiple adults was unknown.
But we have a LOT of eagles.. and seven loons on our lake at home.

9/02/2015 11:24 am  #5

Well, we also saw the biggest flotilla of loons we've ever seen...approximately 70...not far from where we saw the bald eagle.

And we also saw a personal best count for mergansers...a train of about 50, floating along the shore near our campsite in a single file.

We did see what I was sure was a single cormorant.

I should try and make up a marked map of where all this took place.

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara (9/02/2015 11:25 am)

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

9/02/2015 1:52 pm  #6

The loons must be gathering for their trip south.. Its sort of an avian frat party. I have counted thirty or so less here but later in October . They have to fly a very long trip..25km.

No wonder they are sorta fat and out of shape.  
Its too late in the season for babyloontaco.

I do like my Canon sx60 to pick up the detail on loon and eagle feathers. Its little but has a decent lens and a lot of zoom (to 65x), Best if I don't zoom that far though

It was a shock to watch an eagle kill a baby loon and claw its mother. Eagles have been around a long time but last year there were just so many of them.. This year far fewer.. can find one every day but not six.
Nature irons things out.

Last edited by kayamedic (9/02/2015 2:03 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.