You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/18/2017 12:05 pm  #1

Spring 2017 Trout Opener - Options?

Hi Friends, I have read all of the advisories and understand that much of the park is, as of now, subject to a delayed opening…I believe though that it IS permissible to paddle and fish the lakes along the hwy60 corridor starting this Saturday as long as they are ice-free…I am hoping to hit a couple of the smaller lakes this weekend…do I have this right and how is it looking 'up there'? thx

4/18/2017 12:44 pm  #2

Re: Spring 2017 Trout Opener - Options?

Yes you have it right. In fact ice fishing is technically legal once trout season opens too. Probably not safe by then, but it is allowed. 

4/18/2017 12:59 pm  #3

i think there is a difference between ice fishing and angling?

4/18/2017 10:16 pm  #4

Angling is fishing with a hook and line. It includes ice fishing. Regulated fishing seasons do not differentiate between ice fishing and open water fishing (though the legal number of lines does). The "non-angling" methods of fishing described in the regulations are things like bow fishing and dip netting for certain species, which I have their own seasons but aren't allowed in Algonquin. RobW is right as I understand it. But yes the sanctuary restriction on Algonquin lifts on the 4th Saturday of April regardless of conditions and you can fish whether or not you can camp.

4/19/2017 6:42 am  #5

Would highly recommend the WHITE PARTRIDGE EXPRESS into White Partridge Lake.....some EXCELLENT speck and laker fishing.

​Also, in my opinion, you cannot go wrong fishing Welcome, Harry, Rence, Louisa, Hogan, Phillip, North Branch, Three Mile, Manitou, Lauder, Nipissing River, Robinson, Whiskeyjack, Plumb, Burntroot, Big Trout, LaMuir, Longer, Tim River, McIntosh, and many more.....

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/19/2017 7:21 am  #6

boknows wrote:

Would highly recommend the WHITE PARTRIDGE EXPRESS into White Partridge Lake.....some EXCELLENT speck and laker fishing.

​Also, in my opinion, you cannot go wrong fishing Welcome, Harry, Rence, Louisa, Hogan, Phillip, North Branch, Three Mile, Manitou, Lauder, Nipissing River, Robinson, Whiskeyjack, Plumb, Burntroot, Big Trout, LaMuir, Longer, Tim River, McIntosh, and many more.....

Is there still an opening?!

4/19/2017 8:22 am  #7

ATVenture wrote:

Is there still an opening?!

Bo mentioned in his WP Express thread that a couple people had to cancel, so unless he's filled those spots there's still room for two. 

http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=953&p=2

4/19/2017 9:55 am  #8

Yes, I have opening for 2 people, 1 canoe and all gear they wish to bring in.  Dates are May 6-13....in on Saturday May 6 and out on Saturday May 13.....back in time for Mother's Day.

Uppa will be joining us via kayak from Little Dickson on Thursday, May 11th. 

If interested, send me a private message.

Bo

Last edited by boknows (4/19/2017 9:56 am)

4/19/2017 10:21 am  #9

boknows wrote:

Bo

I'll be on White Partridge for a night, but not that night. I'll be there on Sunday, May 7th. 

4/21/2017 1:31 am  #10

RobW wrote:

Yes you have it right. In fact ice fishing is technically legal once trout season opens too. Probably not safe by then, but it is allowed. 

I can tell you from experience that ice fishing is frowned upon even on safe ice within the open season.  I tried it a few years ago when we had a really cold November.  All the splake lakes I like to fish in Haliburton were frozen so I decided to head further north to check the ice on a couple of splake lakes in the park.  Hiked in to a lake and found six inches of good clear ice, caught a few small splake then decided to try a hwy 60 lake for the last hour of the day as I didn't want to be hiking out in the dark.  There was closer to 8 inches of ice on the hwy 60 lake but within minutes of setting up there was an irate ranger yelling at us from shore to get off the ice and that icefishing wasn't allowed in the park.  

I sill don't think we were breaking any rule but that's how it went down.    

4/21/2017 6:56 am  #11

i called the park office yesterday april 20th
 the guy on the line told me that every thing is closed until the 28th. i asked about smaller highway stocked lakes such as sunday and sproule lakes. i was told that these lake are considered interior lakes because they have campsites on them. i asked about other lakes along the highway that do not have campsite on them and the guy told me that these lakes are closed too.  i was told that the ice is not out yet anyway.
  so there you go, locked up tight until the next weekend,  

4/21/2017 8:49 am  #12

Not that it matters if there is ice in your way, but straight from the MNR Reg's for Fisheries Management Zone 15 (which includes Algonquin), Under exceptions to "zone wide" regulations:

Algonquin Park - Fish Sanctuary - no fishing from Dec 1 to Dec 31, and Jan 1 to Fri before 4th Sat in Apr.

So, you can fish Splake, pike, bass etc in November, but not in the park in December, even if season is open in the rest of FMZ 15.  

That said, the rules on paper are one thing, what is enforced is another, but Chuck you weren't in violation of any fishing rules if it was still November.

4/21/2017 9:24 am  #13

liability issues perhaps?

4/23/2017 4:13 am  #14

Uppa wrote:

boknows wrote:

Bo

I'll be on White Partridge for a night, but not that night. I'll be there on Sunday, May 7th. 

Sorry I got date mixed up but this is better for STEAK, ETC.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.