You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2017 12:38 pm  #1

David Creek/Carry to Rosebary

I've been looking at this area as a way to create a loop out of Magnetawan, and I'm seeing some conflicting information - and some that may be dated....

From what I read, David Creek has an area that gets draggably shallow for short area, maybe 20-30 meters.  That I can deal with (I say that now, but when I'm up to my knees in muck, smelling like swamp gas, loosing my balance an my shoes I'll be saying something very different), but I'm wondering if the creek is one of those ones that gets so narrow that both gunwales are touching the sides of the creek and you feel like you are paddling down a narrow hallway to where you can't see anything.  Those kinds of situations creep me out - no end in sight and always feels like the water is going to disappear any...second......now.

Secondly, I'm wondering if anybody has insight into the carry from David Creek to Rosebary.  Am I correct in thinking it is an abandoned road, or have I read about a bypass route?  Also it sounds like there is a bridge that was dismantled, and I'm wondering how big an impact that has on things.

Thanks for any insights!

4/17/2017 4:16 pm  #2

Re: David Creek/Carry to Rosebary

David creek is pretty narrow at its Mubwayaka end, but soon it gets wider. There's no creepy part to it, it's very scenic. Rosebary portage starts at a bridge on a wide logging road (unused, when I was there) and then turns into another forest road, more overgrown. It's flat all the way and very easy except for being lengthy. My notes are from 10 years ago.

4/17/2017 5:10 pm  #3

Thanks Eddy Turn - That alleviates my concern about the creek for sure.  I'm a little concerned yet about the portage though.  Nice to confirm the flatness of the carry, that's for sure, but I read in a post somewhere that the bridge had been dismantled.  I'm hoping somebody knows about that and if it makes things a bit dicey.  Also, I think I've read there is a right turn in there where the logging road becomes a different road, and I'm wondering if it is marked well where that happens.

4/18/2017 10:24 am  #4

I was through there two years ago and the creek was not a problem. We didn't even get our feet wet.  A couple of lifts near the lake, then clear paddling.  The portage was a nice, long walk in the woods.  We had no difficulty following the portage.  The bridge that was out, was crossing a creek about two thirds of the way to Rosebary.  It was fast flowing and deep when we crossed it. We had one guy jump across first and then tossed the packs across. Then slid the canoe across. And then the second guy jumped over.  We probably should of found some logs or floated across up stream although I seem to recall, that didn't seem like a good idea at the time due to the fast current.
 We looped around through the Tim river and out through Queer, Little Trout, Bice.  I found the Tim river to Queer Lake portage way more challenging than David to Rosebary.  I really liked this route for its variety and the fishing was good too.

4/18/2017 11:19 am  #5

Treater -  That's what I was thinking would be the case.   So the bridge leaves me with something narrow enough to jump - although, in my youth, one of the nicknames my friends had for me was "Vertical Leap Dave" - for my inability to get more than three inches off the ground.  They also called me "Wheels".  Same logic unfortunately.  So maybe I'd have to rig up a little something to safely get stuff crossed over without everything taking a soaking.....including me.  I can just see me standing on one side tossing my pack over and hoping it doesn't roll back in swift-moving-deep-creek with me saying "hey, look at it go!"   

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.