You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2017 7:18 am  #1

Trip Advice Needed

Is there an outfitter near access point 15?  I thought there was, but now can't find anything about them online.

How are the bugs the 4th weekend of June?

4/12/2017 7:36 am  #2

Re: Trip Advice Needed

I haven't been through that access point, but Jeff's Map shows an outfitter at 15a - Pine Grove Point - which is quite close. That's also where you pick up your permit by the looks of things. A quick google found their website: http://www.pinegrovepoint.com/park.html

End of June is a bit hit and miss. The black flies should be on the decline but still present. Mosquitoes will be out in good numbers. But just how bad (or not bad) the bugs will be is dependent on the weather we get between now and then. Even if they're out in droves, if you're lucky enough to get windy days then good campsite choices will save you. 

4/12/2017 7:47 am  #3

Been to Pine Grove Park to get my permit years ago, I had a canoe and don't remember seeing any to rent.
​There is a small town just before that starts with M that should have canoes to rent.
​As for bugs end of June, pretty much depends on where you are and whether there are low areas with water in them, or you are camping near a bay with lots of flora in it.  I am always in at Sec Lake, Access 20, on July 1st every year.  Most of time no bugs, some times yes.  Best to take a bug tent like I always do.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/12/2017 11:58 am  #4

End of June provides tons of skeeters, but usually little or no black flies. Well established campsites in Algonquin are more or less skeeters-free till before the sunset, but portages could be a problem.

4/12/2017 12:54 pm  #5

I stayed on Kingscote last July 1st long weekend.   No black flies but skeeters were bad at times...we had a bug net that came in handy.

I didn't rent but I did notice Pine Grove Point had canoe rentals.    

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.