You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/14/2017 8:16 am  #18

Re: Sightseeing on Canoe ROutes

mrmikerd wrote:

Wow!  Thanks for all the quick replies.  

A few of you suggested Booth.  I hadn't thought of crossing the park (coming in from west), but you certainly make it sound intriguing.  I'm assuming access is from Opeongo.  Someone else mentioned Hailstorm Lake through a bog (which I'm assuming is passable), which might make a good detour.
Thanks again.

Mike.

Hailstorm Creek is not "passable", as in able to use as a route from one place to another.  It's a "there and back" sidetrip.

I'm confused.  Thought you wanted a 2-3 night, fairly easy trip for you to introduce your kid to canoe camping.

Opeongo is only an option if you use the water taxi services available, or are extremely comfortable paddling solo in some potentially dangerous conditions.  I don't think a 10-year-old would be of any help in some of the treacherous conditions that we've experienced on that lake.

I would search out a simple route, with only one or two portages, and just let the kid enjoy himself.  Kids can be quite creative, left to their own devices and imaginations, and having a lot of rocks and trees to explore.  If one only seeks out the spectacular, then one will miss the quietly sublime and charming.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

4/14/2017 8:18 am  #19

The two water taxi companies will drop you pretty much anywhere you want on Opeongo and its arms, bays and portages.

Barbara

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

4/14/2017 11:23 pm  #20

If you want to go to Booth Lake, just start from Crotch/Farm Lake (access point 17). Two short portages and you're there, with no cottage/motorboat lakes on the way at all. Absolutely no reason to shell out for a water taxi and make the trek down the Opeongo River if you're going to Booth. Algonquin Bound and Opeongo Outfitters are near the turnoff to access point 17 and can deliver canoes to it. Canoe Algonquin and Algonquin Basecamp make deliveries to access points 2, 3 and 4 on the west side of the park.

If Kingscote Lake at the southern tip of the park is accessible to you, consider the Kingscote - Benoir route, with canoe delivery and shuttle from Pine Grove Point. A more challenging trip than soe others that have been recommended but it offers some fun highlights like the Scorch Lake lookout and High Falls.

4/15/2017 6:56 am  #21

@Barbara:  Yes, definitely do want simple routes.  Was just curious.  I've canoed just a part of Opeongo myself with my two sons NOT helping, and I totally agree it was not fun and there were a few times I know I was going backwards while paddling forwards. ;-D  Many a silent curse was thrown at the motorboaters as well. ;)

@DanPM: Thanks.  Both look useful.  I don't think I'll try Kingscote this time around, but it looks like it would be a lot of fun for a future trip.

4/15/2017 8:38 am  #22

I'm not sure why one would curse or resent motor boaters when on large lakes that one knows they will be there.

We've never caused any canoeist any problems when using our motor boat.  We would never consider being on Opeongo unless in our motor boat.

The river from Annie's Bay to Booth has some mighty strong current.  It's not what I would call an "easy" route for those of us with no experience in that kind of paddling.

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara (4/15/2017 8:39 am)

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

4/15/2017 8:40 am  #23

Back on page 1 of this thread, I gave you some helpful links for the west side of the Park (Rain, Tim, Magnetawan).

Barbara

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

4/15/2017 10:48 am  #24

We curse motorboats and water taxis(despite having been the one driving them) for the same reason we curse anything that makes something we are having to struggle with look easy. its a human response. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.