You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2017 3:17 pm  #1

Catfish Lake recommendations/route suggestions

I am looking for recommendations for either a 3 day (2 night) trip or the possibility of going one extra day around Catfish Lake.

I was thinking of entering at Cedar Lake into Catfish Lake via the Petawawa/Narrowbag Lake.  I am very open to suggestions for this, but I was attracted to this route because Jeff’s map lists the tallest waterfalls in the park in this area as well as some interesting things like the alligator remains on Catfish. I have never done this area of the park and always try and check out some “interesting” things on trips I plan.

I have two trips planned this summer. One with my boyfriend (who has no backcountry experience, but is a good paddler and strong guy) and the other my mom who has LOTS of backcountry experience.

My questions are: how hard is the 2345m portage? While I don’t mind a long portage, I am also really not keen on killing myself on a longer portage.

How busy is Catfish Lake and are there sites worth visiting on the lake?

And finally are there any other areas worth visiting or better routes in this area?

Thanks!

4/05/2017 3:46 pm  #2

Re: Catfish Lake recommendations/route suggestions

That’s a very nice route. I’ve done it around 5 times myself. I usually go in through the Petawawa and I leave via Luckless and the nip.

Do not stress over the 2345m portage. For more info, you can consult the following thread: http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=992 

Catfish is one of the busiest lakes in the north part of the park but you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a good campsite.

Enjoy!

4/06/2017 1:00 pm  #3

Thanks guys! Lots of good suggestions and a bit of a relief to know that the portage is not too bad. This will be my first time to anything on the north-east side of that park, so should be interesting!

4/06/2017 1:53 pm  #4

Catfish can be hit and miss when it's busy.  A trip a few years ago I paddled through on my way to Calumet and most sites on the lake were taken.  On the way out two days later I camped on the lake and we were the only party there that night.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

4/06/2017 1:55 pm  #5

The portage has a fairly substantial climb to it of approximately 70 meters of vertical elevation gain in a little over a kilometer of trail length when traveling upstream; I would estimate that the majority of that climb occurs in about one-half of a kilometer.  Fully loaded, it poses a good reminder of your age or youth. I would estimate that it is harder than about 90% of the portages in Algonquin when you consider the length and elevation gain.

As a weak reward, there is a bit of a clearing with a log bench or two at the very top to take a rest.  I normally single carry but on that one I left the canoe after the steepest section began, then dropped the pack at the peak while I retrieved the canoe; I carried canoe & pack for the remainder.

Traveling downstream it is a much more pleasant experience.

I would recommend double-carrying at least the first half to the highest elevation if you don't want to kill yourself.  To finish the trip, I would recommend taking the Luckless/Nipissing River route back out - you'll get a very different feel on the way out and that Luckless portage, while long, is generally downhill to the Nip.  

Lots of nooks and crannies to explore around Catfish Lake and good variation of topography/environments when coupled with a Nipissing egress.  No harm in re-tracing your steps to come out the same way, but loops offer a broader experience than the classic in-out trip.

4/07/2017 11:35 am  #6

Book in advance, August weekends could be sold out flat by June. If you wish to avoid the steep climb you can take the Nip in and then the Petawawa out. The Nip route is longer and also has an uphill to Luckless lake, but it's easier - less elevation and the portage follows a road. A nice side trip from Catfish to Sunfish  lake, especially in late summer when it's mostly grown over, and no portages.

4/17/2017 1:58 pm  #7

Thanks EddyTurn! I might look at doing the trip in the direction you suggested. It is looking like this trip will likely be with my mom and I will be carrying the canoe, so it sounds like this might be a better way for us.

I am hoping that Catfish is not too busy, otherwise we night look at something on the North end for an end of August trip! 

4/19/2017 10:00 am  #8

The island on Jeffs Map that references cockroaches has an amazing lookout point for a tent at the back of the island. I highly recommend that site despite what the map says, we didn't see any roaches

4/19/2017 10:07 am  #9

Easy portage????  Not for me.....it is a steady uphill climb the entire 2345m portage to Narrowbag Lake.  And the other portages are also UPHILL.  Yes, there are some nice waterfalls to explore as you CLIMB and also a grave marker (Cross) of A. CORBEIL who perished during a log drive on the Petawawa.  Also, as mentioned before, alligator at Narrowbag Lake.

​Once on Catfish, gorgeous site on Shangri La (island close to portages going into Perley Lake.  Recommend fishing the bay EAST of Shangri La (hardly ever fished).  Also fish Lynx Lake and Luckless Lake (very clear water in this lake).

Another route close by I would recommend is from Kiosk (Kioshkokwi Lake).  Easy loop from Kiosk to Mink to Club to Waterclear to Whitebirch and out.  On Club Lake (close to Waterclear) there is an abandoned 3 sided building and also a campsite that has an old building on it and an old Ford truck in the back of the site.

​Bo

Last edited by boknows (4/19/2017 10:12 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.