You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/19/2016 1:24 pm  #1

High Falls Lake after the forest fire

We visited High Falls Lake yesterday (August 18th).  More photos at https://www.facebook.com/mcelroys.bushlog/

5/02/2017 4:36 am  #2

Re: High Falls Lake after the forest fire

Bob & Diana McElroy have since added to their Bush Log and Notes website, an in-depth documentation of The High Falls Lake Fire, August 2016 .

It's a timely reminder to be careful with fire in Algonquin Park.

5/02/2017 5:08 am  #3

Here's another fire report from June of last year .. by Chris of Algonquin Voyageur

".. on the portage from Big George Lake to the Petawawa River I came across a fire that had recently occurred on the portage trail.  In talking with a colleague later I found out that a few weeks earlier some campers started a fire to get warm and it got away from them burning the whole top of the hillside.  Thankfully they were charged."

Photo by Chris.

5/03/2017 11:59 am  #4

Thanks for the reminder Barry.  In 1987, I was on a trip with three friends.  We exited.....I think Grassy Bay to White Trout....and there was a small island - no campsite, but we saw smoke.  Somebody had camped there the night before, and vacated.  They made a fire pit with rocks in the midst of a pine needle bed that was a good four inches deep or more.  The pine bed was burned out in an area I bet 5 meters x 5 meters or so, and the base of several trees had burned out.  Mostly it was a smoldering situation, a couple small flames here or there.  We formed a four-man pot and pan brigade and took care of it, but the lesson has always stayed with me.  Marked campsites only, use the real fire pit, keep the fire size moderate, the area clear, the firewood a little distance away, and be attentive.  I keep a bucket full and handy, and when I'm done, whether just for the afternoon, or the night, or when leaving permanently, I drown it relentlessly.   Nobody would ever want their name attached to starting a forest fire. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.