You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2017 3:10 pm  #1

How soon will the black flies and mosquitoes be out!?

Hey, everyone!

This Spring our first trip of the year will be the latest it's ever been after Ice Out.
We head out early morning on May 12th. We've never had any issues with black flies or mosquitoes in the past for our spring trips, but we`ve also never been out this late after Ice Out.

I was hoping to get some feedback and thoughts on what to expect? Heading South of the 60 this time around.

Thank you!

4/28/2017 3:13 pm  #2

Re: How soon will the black flies and mosquitoes be out!?

The odd mosquito has been out the last couple of weekends already. You should be good for blackflies but I would pack the bug shirt just in case. 

4/28/2017 3:37 pm  #3

I always find that until the May long weekend, bugs should not be any problem at all.

Of course, you can always camp in the "bug free" zones all across Algonquin Park.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/28/2017 8:35 pm  #4

Last year I had a portage trip, the 13-15th.  No issues with mosquitoes and the black flies were flying around but not biting.  They still weren't out in full either.  My father and I were fine without any bug protection and my son (4) was fine with just a head net (bugs flying into his face were bothering him).

We didn't have to worry about any bugs the 14th as it rained which turned to snow and the 15th was still cool When we left so no bugs.

I'm heading up for a backpacking trip next weekend.  I may bring a headset as precaution but I'm not expecting to have to use it.

5/01/2017 8:30 am  #5

Great! Thank you for the feedback.
I was not expecting such positive responses. WOooh!

5/01/2017 8:57 am  #6

Ya they shouldnt be too bad for you.  I was just up in Haliburton and there was the odd mosquito.  It has been very warm this spring with lots of rain so I would pack bug jackets anyways just to be safe.  I bring one every trip into algonquin.  Saved my sanity many times.
My buddies and I are heading in for 3 nights on May 26th...I am expecting black flies and mosquitos in biblical proportions lol.

5/01/2017 9:40 am  #7

I think your expectations will me met, lol! The brookie fishing will be great though!

Moonman.

5/01/2017 1:39 pm  #8

boknows wrote:

Of course, you can always camp in the "bug free" zones all across Algonquin Park.

Can I ask how one might find these zones?

5/01/2017 1:47 pm  #9

DanPM wrote:

boknows wrote:

Can I ask how one might find these zones?

Just ask someone who works for The Ministry of Tourism 😀

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.