You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2017 10:11 am  #18

Re: Worst campsites

That's the definition of "out of the pan and into the fire".  It's a shame they couldn't do a better job of it; I suspect they had to be short of resources - either time, people or caring.

4/28/2017 4:50 pm  #19

nvm wrote:

trippythings wrote:

Which campsite on Raven are you referring too? I passed by last summer and submitted the PCI reports for both of those sites, but I don't remember thinking the thunder box was in a bad location. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, and I didn't actually camp there either.

During that same trip, I went onshore to the south site on Owl, and that ranks as one of worst campsites I've seen (luckily just passing by as well, didn't actually camp there). It's small and uninviting, and from the water it doesn't even look like a site. Nowhere to swim or enjoy the sun, and bad fire pit/seating area, with the tent pad very close by. It's well sheltered at least, so it gets one single bonus point for that.

And not inherently bad, but some sites just give off a very eerie vibe. One that stands out in particular is the north shore site halfway down the lake on Louisa (campsite #2 on the PCI). I can't pinpoint exactly what it was, it just felt eerie and unsettling. And not algonquin, but the island campsite #15 on Killarney Lake in Killarney had to be the eeriest campsite I've been to. We set up our tent and were debating staying, but something felt very off and we switched to a much nicer site.

It's funny how subjective a vibe can be. When we stayed on Killarney last year, we almost moved to 15 because it felt like such a nice site. If it was west facing it would have been perfect. Hard to leave 24 though, which was a terrific site. One of the most liked sites on that lake is 17, which I didn't get a great vibe from.

I agree that it *looks* like such a nice site. Funny story, the year prior I paddled through the lake and saw that site and thought "wow, I need to camp here at some point", so the next year, when I had Killarney Lake booked, I decided I would try and get that site. We came from the west and passed the whole lake to get there, and I was very happy to see it vacant. And even though it faces east, you can get to the west side pretty easily and there's a nice beach area with rocks leading to the water to smaller islands - would be the perfect area to explore and watch the sunset. But the vibe was just all wrong. We actually ended up moving to #24 which I thought was a gorgeous site with a breathtaking view - it's quite the gem.

If you're in the mood for a bit of a read, I go more in-depth in this trip report: http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=44348

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/02/2017 10:25 pm  #20

Least favourite for me was on Three Mile.  The Island site in the south west had the tiniest fire pit area with a large dead stump in the middle of it, no good put in site and a steep climb about 2 m straight up from the water which I slipped on three times.

After an afternoon nap I bailed and went looking for a better site (which could have been any of them).

5/03/2017 7:47 pm  #21

This site would be it for me...  Jeff was definitely right re its condition lol...  Was a climb into the site, then there was almost no spot to pitch a tent...  Good thing we only stopped at the site for lunch...

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.