You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2017 6:40 pm  #1

Moccasin and Islet

Hello all - I am looking forward to heading out May 8th for a 5 day trip!

But still planning a late summer trip...
I am thinking of taking my 6 year old on a son and dad trip the last week of August. I am hoping to book Moccasin or Islet.  Fishing and swimming are important - can anyone tell me what the swimming is like on these lakes?  More specifically if are the sites mostly muddy/stick filled entrances to the lake when wanting to go for a swim.  Kinda puts a damper on swimming for kids...at least for mine anyway.

We will go for 3 nights - I am open to other Lake suggestions...A destination or small loop will be fine.

Thanks everyone.

4/26/2017 11:41 am  #2

Re: Moccasin and Islet

I took my daughter and son into Islet L. a couple summers ago for a 3 nighter. They were 8 and 9 at the time.  Bass fishing was pretty good but not exactly the greatest for swimming.   We had some coolish weather so swimming wasn't tops on the list anyway.  The Western Uplands trail was back behind our site so we did a nice long day trip along the trail.

I paddled through Moccasin on my way to Jubilee from Misty a few years back.  It was a very rainy day so didn't see much.  From what I recall, the two sites didn't look too great for swimming.  I could be wrong there though.  Didn't fish it at all. 

Not sure where you are coming from but Booth has some nice beach sites and fishing was excellent.   My daughter and I did a 3 nighter there last summer.  Loved it!!

Base camped on North Tea with my family and my brother's family a couple summers ago too.   Nice beach sites and great bass fishing there too.  We were very lucky with weather but I know it can get nasty though.

Have fun!!

4/27/2017 8:23 am  #3

SwiftPaddler- what direction did you go on the Western Uplands? I'm staying on Islet this summer and am trying to figure out what the best day trip would be. Thanks!

4/27/2017 9:02 am  #4

Can't speak to Islet or Moccasin but Jubilee has some nice sites and good swimming. The site on the north side of the lake has awesome swimming. 

We visited the other sites on the lake and the North side one is definitely the best overall. It's more open and has the best swimming. The other sites are nice but are more closed in and there isn't as great of a swimming rock. 

4/27/2017 9:58 am  #5

John - we stayed on this site and just went south for a couple hours. 

Stopped along the trail at about Stammer L., had lunch and then returned.    Nothing too much of any interest that I can recall but it was a nice walk in the woods with the kids.  Stopping on occasion to look for salamanders, small critters etc.

I stayed on that site on Jubilee that CanoeClaire mentions. Was about 6 years ago with my two older boys.  Site is a beauty...definitely the best on the lake.

4/27/2017 12:47 pm  #6

Thanks, SwiftPaddler- do you recall whether that site was any good? I haven't been able to find a ton of information on Islet's sites.

4/27/2017 1:28 pm  #7

I've been on Moccasin Islet and Jubilee and IMO for everything you are looking for, by far the site Canoeclaire and Swiftpaddler mention on Jubilee comes out way ahead of the others - as an added bonus there is a good chance you will be seeing moose as well in the bay to the left of the point on that site! AWSOME camp site , great swimming spot and a nice population of Smallmoth bass to boot

Last edited by Andy W (4/27/2017 1:52 pm)

4/27/2017 5:38 pm  #8

Thanks for your input all.  I think I'll give Jubilee a go this time around - hopefully sites are free!

4/27/2017 6:29 pm  #9

Good luck snagging that site ! Have a great trip and looking forward to hearing all about it

4/27/2017 7:44 pm  #10

That site on islet wasn't the greatest...tons of blueberries though! The island site looked to be the best one. The lake was busy when we were there so couldn't check out any of the other sites.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.