You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2017 7:41 pm  #1

Canoe Accessories & Improvements

I just picked up my first backcountry capable canoe today, a Swift Prospector 16, and I'm looking forward to being able to make some additions to it while making it a little bit more comfortable than what rentals were.

What are some accessories, modifications or DIY projects that you guys have done to make tripping a little bit more comfortable or enjoyable?  Off the top of my head, I think I'll pick up a yolk pad and put down some closed cell foam for my knees. Any specific recommendations for these?

I've also seen some people with a rope that runs bow to stern at arms length to make controlling the canoe on portages a little bit easier. Can any of you share what this setup looks like? Where does the rope go when not in use?

Paddles and fishing rods will be getting velcro loops to strap in during portages as well.

If you got pictures, share em!

4/18/2017 6:25 am  #2

Re: Canoe Accessories & Improvements

Yolk = the yellow part of an egg
Yoke = the painful part of a canoe

That rope you speak of is referred to as a painter line, I believe, although painters are normally tied to only the bow or the stern as a means of securing the canoe to shore or lining it down rapids, etc.  What I do with the painter is use a bowline knot at both ends - if I need to untie it, it is a simple procedure.  Normally I do not untie the rope and a lay it along one of the gunwales prior to loading the canoe so it's out of the way.  When I hoist the canoe overhead for a carry, I trap the painter line on the "lower" gunwale of the canoe (instead of trying to lift it over my head) since it can dangle and get hung up on a pack, your hat, etc. as you are lifting the boat overhead if it were on the "upper" gunwale.  Does that make sense?

The only accessorizing I would consider is an improved yoke, depending upon the quality of the one that came installed on the canoe.  The contoured yokes are more comfortable compared to a straight bar or a bar with just a slight contour.

Enjoy the new craft...you've got to be very excited to get it on the water and get the first scratches on her!

4/18/2017 12:48 pm  #3

PA - Damn auto-correct! I think I understand what your saying. I tried looking up info on painters lines, but like you said, it seems like this term is used to describe the function of the rope as a recovery line, or for lining rapids. I'm more so concerned with it as an aid in the control, particularly for inclines and declines while portaging. 

The contoured yoke on the canoe is very comfortable for me, but my I know the girlfriend really wants to try her hand at carrying the canoe. Shes a small girl, and even at ~43 lbs I think the extra padding would help.

Thank you! I am very excited about it. 

John - Awesome, exactly what I was hoping for. Are those handles you have tapped onto the rope? I like the hoisting system you've rigged up as well. 

I've got a blank canvas. 

4/18/2017 1:41 pm  #4

Hey Basil, the way I described my use of the painter lines does just what you're looking for...helps to control the "pitch" of the canoe during a carry so you can lift the bow or stern with a gentle tug on the rope.  The real benefit though is the comfort of keeping your arms at your sides during a carry instead of up on one or both of the gunwales.

One trip I had the length down just right so that I could give a couple twists of the line around a few fingers and then was able to rest my forearm on the painter while my elbow was bent at 90 degrees...it felt like I had my arm resting on a sofa while portaging.  That's about the only time I could envision associating a sofa and portaging.

4/18/2017 6:28 pm  #5

For boat control on portages I prefer short (3-4') piece of thick soft rope attached to both ends of the front thwart. If you set up the canoe for portage to be slightly stern-heavy all you have to do to adjust it's pitch is slightly push down - or let go - on the rope.

4/19/2017 8:38 am  #6

PA - Ah, ok I gotcha. That makes sense. That eases the concern of the rope dangling about throughout the day and being a nuisance.
Eddy - Very interesting. I was planning on running it bow to stern but that may just work as well.
Jon - Looks like what I had in mind. What do you do with with the roped when your packing your boat and paddling.

As for foam pads for your knees, what does everyone use and where do you get it? I don't like the look of the stuff at MEC right now, almost looks too thick. 

4/19/2017 12:57 pm  #7

I've been happy with these for tying down my paddles and other gear.

https://www.londonspaddleshop.com/product/bungee-dealee-bobs/

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/20/2017 6:13 am  #8

I used to velcro my gear but have since switched to gear ties. 
http://www.niteize.com/collection/Gear-Tie.asp
I find them to be much quicker and have more uses than the velcro straps.

4/20/2017 7:21 am  #9

Treater wrote:

Those are neat.. What length do you use? I've just been tieing my stuff in with rope which obviously takes WAAY to long and is very annoying,

Ahh turns out  they have these on Amazon.. with prime! I'm sold on these for sure.. but I'm unsure if I should order 12 inch or 24 to be safe. I'll be using them to secure my fishing rod and paddles to the thwarts in my canoe. 1 paddle+fishing rod on one side and one paddle on the other. (I use the paddles as extra handles when I portage). So I'll need four ties total.

https://www.amazon.ca/GT24-2PK-01-Reusable-24-Inch-Rubber-2-Pack/dp/B004MMEHPQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1492691125&sr=8-6&keywords=rubber+twist+ties

Last edited by ATVenture (4/20/2017 7:28 am)

4/20/2017 10:49 am  #10

ATVenture wrote:

Treater wrote:

Ahh turns out  they have these on Amazon.. with prime! I'm sold on these for sure.. but I'm unsure if I should order 12 inch or 24 to be safe. 

Also available at MEC up to 32" and a 8-pack with various sized.

https://www.mec.ca/en/search/?text=ties&org_text=ties

Dave

4/20/2017 11:22 am  #11

Been using GearTies for years - love them - anything else is a waste of time, as you can lash in your paddles in mere seconds with these.

Andrew I use the 18" ones for my paddles, works well and they have other uses once you get to camp.

Edit: Small animals (chippy's, mice, etc) will chew the rubber on these ties, best to keep them where they can't be chewed overnight.

Last edited by Peek (4/20/2017 11:23 am)

4/21/2017 6:37 am  #12

Peek wrote:

Been using GearTies for years - love them - anything else is a waste of time, as you can lash in your paddles in mere seconds with these.

Andrew I use the 18" ones for my paddles, works well and they have other uses once you get to camp.

Edit: Small animals (chippy's, mice, etc) will chew the rubber on these ties, best to keep them where they can't be chewed overnight.

Thanks for the tips, Peek! I bought 6X 18inch Gear Ties at Home Depot yesterday for $11.. and they work perfect. 
Can't believe ive been WASTING my time with rope for all these years. Lol

Last edited by ATVenture (4/21/2017 6:38 am)

4/21/2017 7:08 am  #13

Basil; that bow rope you're thinking of isn't the painter- I've only heard it called a "dingle string" by old timers. I've used one many times, especially on long portages. It's a piece of cotton (or in my father's case silk) rope about 1/4" thick (easy to grab and soft on the hands) and long enough to reach the back seat from the bow handle or cap, and is used to literally steer the boat through the brush. You load the canoe SLIGHTLY heavy in the stern (my throw bag is enough) to pull the bow up, as you walk the portage, you can pull the bow down, left, right, or let it rise to clear obstructions. With a well balanced canoe and a little practice, you can actually walk along just by holding the string to let the blood flow back into your hands. I installed a carabiner on mine so I can quickly pop it off and stow it when on the water (you don't want to grab 8' of line when you need that painter)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.