You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2017 8:19 am  #18

Re: What's Your Personal Best?

Lenny wrote:

I agree with Swedishpimple about naming lakes in public forums. I talked to a lad when I was up in Barrys Bay ice fishing who told me the secret to ice fishing in algonquin park is to drill close to shore so you can hide when you hear a plane coming.

Wow!  That ticks me off.  And then the same people who poach and harvest illegally complain that lakes "just arent what they used to be"...no kidding!  Hopefully the new generation of anglers has a better attitude towards protecting our fisheries.

3/05/2017 10:01 am  #19

3/05/2017 10:31 am  #20

i agree with the comment about bass being an invasive species.  Personally i think they could open the season year round like the ministry did north of highway season. 95% of the time I catch and release bass anyway -DZ

3/07/2017 8:56 am  #21

Sorry have been away ice fishing,   as for the Blue fox spinners we had most of our success trolling and using the  Silver blade blue body,    red blade blue body and had success on a north westerly lake with silver blade pink body but feel the success was due to the fact the lake has rainbow smelt in them and the pink body on the blade resembled the smelt.       most of our trolling is done with me paddling and my son sitting at the front of the canoe,  only time he helps is when it gets windy,   we have found this to be the perfect speed.         not sure if it is because of springtime but I seem to have a lot of success ( for other species as well as trout ) with a lure with Blue in it for springtime fishing.      have also had great success    ( one lake in particular ) getting into about 15' of water and casting a jig and grub and reeling in dead slow along the bottom and getting hit after hit,   also all trout at hooked in the top of the jaw, only 1 hook so easy release.   from what I can tell there is a bug hatch going on and the trout feel this grub is either a leech or a minnow in feeding on the bug hatch.

3/13/2017 9:17 pm  #22

Here are a few a my personal bests....

Walleye 32" - May 2011

Lake Trout
30" May 1991

Brook Trout 
19.5" May 2009

Last edited by Sterrr (3/13/2017 9:24 pm)

3/14/2017 6:00 am  #23

Sterrr wrote:

Brook Trout 
19.5" May 2009

I like this.
It looks like you were just taking some casts from shore at camp to kill some time and you got yourself a nice square tail out of it!

3/20/2017 9:15 pm  #24

No pictures, but my biggest speck was 6 lbs. 8oz. in an unnamed bushwhack lake.  And although I didn't catch it, (Pa Paddler are you listening re the White Partridge Express) I netted a 22 lb lake trout from White Partridge Lake caught by my cousin about 5 years ago and it was released and hopefully is still there.

Bo

Last edited by boknows (4/18/2017 9:08 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/17/2017 7:03 pm  #25

31" walleye cedar lake 2015 caught on a chartreuse jig tipped with a salted minnow

4/17/2017 7:07 pm  #26

interior lake may 2015 - sushied half of it, pan fryed the rest!

4/18/2017 6:42 am  #27

Those are some beauties!  Those walleye are fantastic - that's a relatively rare fish down where I'm from so they really impress.

I can't imagine tying in to a 22 pound laker in a canoe...that must have been an epic battle.  How long did it take from when it was hooked to get it in the net?  And kudos for releasing something that majestic!

4/18/2017 8:09 am  #28

No pictures.....many moons ago....

Speck.....6 lbs. 8 oz. (very small bushwhack lake in northern Algonquin Park)...photo taken and released.

​Laker.....18 lbs.   (White Partridge Lake)....the biggest laker I have ever SEEN is my cousins that I netted....22 lbs. 4 oz. in White Partridge in very shallow water with a sandy bottom.  Not prime location for a laker this size.

​PaPaddler.............yes it was an epic battle to say the least.  Thankfully, we were close to the MEADOW on White Partridge Lake and only in about 5 ft. of water with a sandy bottom.  I would say it took about 20 minutes or so to net this beauty (my cousin was using 15 lb. test line.....I never use more than 6 lb. test line).  Obviously, everyone camping at the MEADOW heard us as we were trying to get this MONSTER to the canoe and it made for a really awesome experience in catching a trout of this size.

​Both might get surpassed this year...  

​Seeing I will never fish that small speck lake and you are young and foolish like I was back in early 1970's, send me a private message and I will give you the name of the small speck lake.  I am sure it still contains specks.

Last edited by boknows (4/18/2017 9:14 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/18/2017 8:52 am  #29

vanslyke wrote:

Lenny wrote:

I agree with Swedishpimple about naming lakes in public forums. I talked to a lad when I was up in Barrys Bay ice fishing who told me the secret to ice fishing in algonquin park is to drill close to shore so you can hide when you hear a plane coming.

Wow! That ticks me off. And then the same people who poach and harvest illegally complain that lakes "just arent what they used to be"...no kidding! Hopefully the new generation of anglers has a better attitude towards protecting our fisheries.

I spent quite a bit of time around the Kiosk access point this passed winter and you wouldn't believe the amount of people accessing the interior via snowmobile down the old rail bed. Some days in Jan/Feb when I went out there there would be 8+ trucks parked at the access all with empty double snowmobile trailers attached. Some went across the lakes (presumably to Manitou/Three Mile etc). Curiosity got the best of me and I looked on the dashboards of a couple of the vehicles and not a single one ever had any sort of 'permit' or 'status card'? Whats stopping anyone from doing this? Never once did I see Ontario Parks or M.N.R. out there..? 

Last edited by ATVenture (4/18/2017 8:53 am)

4/18/2017 9:49 am  #30

ATVenture wrote:

Whats stopping anyone from doing this? Never once did I see Ontario Parks or M.N.R. out there..? 

If there is no one policing. There is no one to stop it.
I would recommend calling the MNR in the future and taking photos of the vehicles and license plates...

4/18/2017 9:58 am  #31

breed85 wrote:

ATVenture wrote:

Whats stopping anyone from doing this? Never once did I see Ontario Parks or M.N.R. out there..? 

I would recommend calling the MNR in the future and taking photos of the vehicles and license plates...

I absolutely second this. MNR is spread so thin in this province that their most effective means of policing is through other anglers and hunters reporting violations. I've reported a few instances to them in the past, and in my experience they have been grateful for the information and followed up with me in regards to the outcome.

4/18/2017 10:10 am  #32

breed85 wrote:

ATVenture wrote:

The thing is I personally know a few of these people that legitimately ice fish in the interior (Algonquin natives). so I know at least ONE of these vehicles was a legitimate status card holder that snowmobiles in and fishes for Lake Trout. I know his group only use two holes per person and use normal ice fishing rods (which they are legally aloud to do). What I am un-sure of is the laws regarding permits.. Obviously they need to keep their cards on them at all times incase they get stopped in the back country, but what about vehicles? If they have no information on their dashboards who's to say they aren't a non-status holder camping or fishing illegally? Maybe the M.N.R. / Ontario Parks has a licence plate database of all the natives who fish in the winter so they can match them up that way?
I have never actually seen all these people leaving from the access, I only see their vehicles/snowmobile tracks.
All I know is all of the gates are left wide open all winter long.

4/18/2017 10:48 am  #33

ATVenture wrote:

The thing is I personally know a few of these people that legitimately ice fish in the interior (Algonquin natives). so I know at least ONE of these vehicles was a legitimate status card holder that snowmobiles in and fishes for Lake Trout. I know his group only use two holes per person and use normal ice fishing rods (which they are legally aloud to do). What I am un-sure of is the laws regarding permits.. Obviously they need to keep their cards on them at all times incase they get stopped in the back country, but what about vehicles? If they have no information on their dashboards who's to say they aren't a non-status holder camping or fishing illegally? Maybe the M.N.R. / Ontario Parks has a licence plate database of all the natives who fish in the winter so they can match them up that way?
I have never actually seen all these people leaving from the access, I only see their vehicles/snowmobile tracks.
All I know is all of the gates are left wide open all winter long.

I would still call the MNR if people are adhering to the rules and regulations then they have nothing to worry about should they be stopped or questioned by the MNR.
What if there is someone who is there just because they see others there.
Theyre not legally permitted to be doing what theyre doing but think its ok to do so because others are doing it.
This doesnt make their actions lawful and their knowledge of the regulations is their responsibility.
The least youd be doing is deterring those who are committing illegal acts on our natural resources from doing so in the future (hopefully).

The MNR is spread thin and they do rely and followup on others like you and I who report illegal or suspicious activity.

4/18/2017 11:36 am  #34

This seems as good a place as any for my first post. Last spring our first-ever back country fishing trip got cancelled due to late ice out, and we camped front country instead. Might have been a blessing in disguise!

Between the 4 of us we landed 3 huge brook trout, all in the span of a few minutes (after many fruitless hours). Two were mortally wounded (before handling the gills), and the largest (fish on the left in the photo with 2 of them) was released. Those 2 fish made for 2 terrific dinners. My approach is generally to fish until I've caught what I want to eat, and then stop. I feel that trout are especially fragile, and catch and release is too risky WRT survival (not to be confused with 'swimming away from the boat'). The largest fish was lightly hooked and very healthy and energetic, so seemed like a good candidate for release (and it was more trout than we needed at this point- the hook ups happened so quickly).

I don't expect a repeat of this sort of thing this year, but what a great introduction to the park! I'm enjoying watching the ice out thread this year- lots of updates keep the excitement building!

Last edited by nvm (4/18/2017 11:42 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.