You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2017 7:45 am  #1

Thunderbox plans

I think equipment is as good a place to add this request as any.
Does anybody have the plans or dimensions for an ontario parks thunderbox?

4/04/2017 8:50 am  #2

Re: Thunderbox plans

Interesting ask.

4/04/2017 9:02 am  #3

4/04/2017 4:16 pm  #4

RCSpartan wrote:

Interesting ask.

Lol. Trying to recreate that AP backcountry feeling in my backyard.

Thanks Rob. Pretty pictures would have been nice, but the dimensions are helpful.

4/04/2017 6:09 pm  #5

Wish I had snapped a photo last year. We were staying on Ralph Bice at the first site on the mainland West of the David Lake Portage when two rangers pulled up to our site in a canoe with a small outboard. Said they were there because they heard our site needed a new privy... They went back to their canoe and came back carrying a new thunderbox. It was mostly preassembled and just needed to be put together like a piece of Ikea furniture. Each side was a piece (6 pcs in total). They weren't any longer than 10 minutes (I think that guesstimate is being generous).
It was pretty neat to see, plus we had a brand new throne to break in...

Last edited by breed85 (4/04/2017 6:10 pm)

4/04/2017 6:33 pm  #6

Though it doesn't really help with MSR's request, I found this pile of thunderboxes awaiting assembly on White Trout Lake at the ranger cabin. Breed I assume these were the pieces you saw them assemble?

Last edited by Peek (4/04/2017 6:33 pm)

4/05/2017 6:13 am  #7

Peek,

That's essentially them.
They had them all bundled together with steel strapping.
Looked like they had 2 or 3 more in their canoe as well.

4/05/2017 6:43 am  #8

My Self Reliance wrote:

Lol. Trying to recreate that AP backcountry feeling in my backyard.

That's awesome! Assuming there are no immediate neighbours or that you have extensive foliage to act as privacy? Ha.

4/05/2017 7:37 am  #9

A small tip for using an AP thunder box in Algonquin during early spring days, i.e. month of May.  I always take some Purell in and leave it under the lid.  This prevents having to wash your hands in cold water.  And you smell nice!  And you don't get "cracks" on your hands.

Last edited by boknows (4/05/2017 11:33 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.