You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2017 3:09 pm  #1

Which canoe manufacturer and model would you recommend?

We've moved into a new place, settled in and it's time to get a canoe.  We will get out and field test a few options but I wanted to get the insight of the vast knowledge that is here first.  I respect your experience and opinions.

Details (not in any particular order):
a.) Usually two of us plus gear; rarely with a third person or pet
b.) Will need to handle flatwater conditions, maneuverability isn't as critical as stability, tracking and speed (but I do want it to turn faster than an aircraft carrier)
c.) Strong primary stability highly desired - my bride doesn't like the tippy feel in the front of a craft with lousy primary stability but good secondary stability
d.) Lightweight - most of this comes from the material, so manufacturers that have kevlar and/or carbon options under 50 pounds would be desirable
e.) Does NOT need to handle solo - I'll likely get a used boat down the road for solo/rocky/maneuverable destinations so this one can be a dedicated tandem touring craft.
f.) We will also be doing some river travel, but don't think of upper Tim River as narrow and full of twists and turns; think of larger rivers with less maneuvering being necessary.

Early consideration and thoughts include:
Swift Keewaydin 17'
Wenonah Minnesota II 18' 6"
Northstar Northwind 17'
Souris River Quetico 17'

Any stinkers or stars in that list?
Should I be looking at prospectors as well for that balanced effect of tracking, turning, capacity and handling rough water?  
Are there other manufacturers I should consider?
I'm located in southeastern PA but would drive a considerable distance to make sure this is the right one.  Other than my house and car, this will be the most expensive thing I own (not counting kids in that mix...I would own a fleet of canoes if I were without those, but I wouldn't be nearly as happy nor blessed!!!)

I would also consider buying used but am willing to shell out for a beautiful canoe that will last me a decade or more.  I have garage storage space to lengthen the life span.

3/31/2017 7:31 pm  #2

Re: Which canoe manufacturer and model would you recommend?

I strongly endorse the Swift and Northstar boats - you are wise and fortunate to be looking in that price range for a long term quality boat.

3/31/2017 8:17 pm  #3

I've had a few Swifts and currently have a wenonah  escape and a swift mattawa.  Both brands are great. You can't go wrong with either. I prefer to trip in the wenonah only because the layup  I have is light. The Minnesota is a great performance touring boat but at 18'6" could become  a bear when it gets tight. It's a commitment as well for transporting.  IMO 16 to 17'6 is adequate  for tripping.  If looking at wenonah  don't count out the escape. It's the Minnesota's little brother. I've had a swift Algonquin,Winisk and the mattawa.  The Winisk closely resembled my escape for performance.  I opted to trade up to the escape purely for weight savings. Check out H20 and HCC canoes as well. The H2O slingshot 222 looks pretty hot. Enjoy the hunt.

4/01/2017 7:06 am  #4

I've had a Nova Craft  16' Prospector since 1989 and I love it.  It's a straight kevlar layup (which they don't have anymore).  I've definately put it through the paces and it's never let me down.  I mainly use it for solo tripping but it's also a great tandem boat and can handle quite the load if need be.  It's great on big flat water and can handle rivers and creeks as well.  They also make the Prospector in 17' and 18' lengths in different layups.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

4/01/2017 8:44 am  #5

Hey PaPaddler, I would consider selling my 16' Swift Prospector. Kevlar Fusion with Carbon Kevlar rails. PM me if you are interested.

4/01/2017 6:05 pm  #6

Souris river Quetico 17.  A W E S O M E boat! 

4/01/2017 6:50 pm  #7

I have two Souris River canoes.  Quetico 18.5 for family trips, and a Tranquility for solo trips.  No complaints.  Both are quick and stable boats.  They really shine with lake tripping.  They obviously don't 'corner' as well as a prospector, so keep that in mind if you hope to make some record times on winding rivers and creeks.

It's hard to offer advice as a lot of this comes down to preference.  Ideally you'd be able to try some of your choices out before you commit.

If you are interested in a Souris River canoe, you can save on shipping if you take delivery on their circle tour (April/May-ish).  They'll be through your area.  Check their website. If you're on the fence, you might call them and see if you can arrange a demo.

4/01/2017 8:01 pm  #8

UpTheCreek wrote:

If you are interested in a Souris River canoe, you can save on shipping if you take delivery on their circle tour (April/May-ish).  They'll be through your area.  Check their website. If you're on the fence, you might call them and see if you can arrange a demo.

IIRC The Portage Store also rent some Souris River's.
I saw them selling some used repaired ones late September a couple of years ago as well...

4/02/2017 8:43 am  #9

Algonquin Base Camp has a fleet of the ultralight SR Quetico 16' and 17.5'.  They are in Kearny, right across front he permit office.  At 39 lbs, excellent load capacity and stability as well as easy handling they're great boats.  I think Chris and Robin rent them for $30 or $35/day.  Worth it a weekend rental before spending several thousand $$.  I think they too sell used ones at the end of the season - on the order of $1000 (I think)...I'd buy one, but nowhere to store it...

I think the Black or red Tigre look the best...but cost the most, of course.

Good call on getting in on the delivery circle - they pass through T.O. Every year.

4/02/2017 7:36 pm  #10

Ok, I'll be looking into test-paddling a few of the mentioned canoes.  Thanks so much for your insights and opinions - and I just might be bouncing around in Martin's Prospector after all of this hemming and hawing!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.