You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2017 8:24 pm  #1

New Trip Report Online! (TR 73: Opeongo - Big Crow - Lavieille)

Hey AA community!

I've published a new trip report on TOURduPARK today.

This report details a traditional 'Summer Solstice Canoe Trip' I do each year with my buddy Ty. This year (last year) was a four-night route through central Algonquin - visiting Opeongo, Big Crow, Lavieille and every lake in between.

We managed to see a ton of wildlife, were windbound on Lavieille and even battled Opeongo twice while setting a potential record (not intentionally - mosquitos just make you walk really, REALLY fast!) for crossing the infamous Dickson-Bonfield portage. 

Overall a great trip through some very scenic areas in Algonquin Park.

TR 73: Opeongo - Big Crow - Lavieille

Preview Images:

3/24/2017 7:23 am  #2

Re: New Trip Report Online! (TR 73: Opeongo - Big Crow - Lavieille)

Thanks Peek! Yesterday while browsing the forum I actually thought to myself "I hope Brandon releases another trip log soon!" These last few weeks before ice out are killing me!

3/24/2017 7:32 am  #3

Thanks Andrew - glad you're enjoying the website and reports!

I'm hoping to have a massive report released very soon - a heavily detailed account of a 16-day, 240km solo. Just taking a bit longer to produce than expected.

3/24/2017 8:53 am  #4

Another great trip!!

Watching your video reminded me of the time we were trapped at the portage from 3 mile into Manitou!! It was our only portage of the day and clearly we had waited too long to get started in the morning. We arrived to a scene much like your video; strong winds whipping up white caps. We ended up lining our canoe around and through a sandy bay to some campsite to sit out the wind and have something to eat.
We spent a good portion of the day waiting for the wind to calm down; I guess you just never know!!

I gotta say I'm impressed you guys paddled Opeongo in that wind; you're braver men than I.

Anyway, love reading your reports!! Keep them coming!

3/24/2017 2:45 pm  #5

OBS I'm glad you liked the report!! Coincidentally I've also been wind bound at the exact same spot on Manitou as you - went across the bay just as you did and hung out until the wind died down - which it did not. 

I uploaded a video of the Manitou wind just for you! - look familiar? This was back in June 2013.  (This also shows the terrible and noisy auto-focus of the 60D that Uppa was mentioning in his camera thread)

If the wind on Opeongo was just a half kilometer per hour stronger, I think we would have had to call it off - it was the most intense battle I've ever faced in a canoe, my heart jumped a few times for sure. Opeongo - when she's nice, she's REALLY nice. When she's mean, she's worse than every ex gf I've ever had.

Thanks again for the kind words

Last edited by Peek (3/24/2017 2:49 pm)

3/24/2017 3:13 pm  #6

PEEK.
I really enjoy your trip reports!
Keep up the good work mate!

Cheers!

3/24/2017 4:33 pm  #7

Thanks breed!! Will do!

3/25/2017 9:29 am  #8

PEEK,

Memories indeed!!!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.