You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2017 5:27 pm  #1

New Trip Report Online! (TR 60: Opeongo - Hailstorm Creek)

Hello Algonquin Adventures community!

I've published another trip log on TOURduPARK today. 

This is a short, 3-day, un-planned canoe trip on Lake Opeongo. My fiancee & I had just spent a week camping with family at Lake St. Peter and desperately needed some back-country action before going home to the city. This trip took place a couple years ago, immediately following the Canada Day weekend.

I hope you enjoy the read - I found some new, unmapped ruins on this trip!

TR 60: Opeongo - Hailstorm Creek

Some preview images:

3/16/2017 8:52 pm  #2

Re: New Trip Report Online! (TR 60: Opeongo - Hailstorm Creek)

I really enjoyed that. Thanks!!

I did something similar last fall. My partner and I did a quick paddle down the Tim river and just camped out on Tim lake!! It was quick, easy and we brought some creature comforts because we weren't portaging.

3/16/2017 11:46 pm  #3

Thanks for the great trip report! You definitely made the right call, I don't think you can beat that wildlife experience without any portaging. I had a trip planned to Fork Lake last august long weekend with similar criteria (no portages, good wildlife viewing) but was forced to change reservations and went to Galeairy lake. Would have been way more fun doing the route you did, although as you acknowledged you were lucky to not have faced opeongos infamous wind. I'm an avid bird watcher and can't say I've seen a sandhill crane before in Algonquin, they are quite rare in S. Ontario. I've seen lots in Midwest USA, my buddy told me they are the 'ribeye of the sky,' and are coveted amongst hunters in the US. Gotta love when a plan that is executed is successful, well done sir!

3/17/2017 2:46 pm  #4

oldboyscout - thanks, glad you liked it! The smart money says you saw at least a moose or two on Tim Lake (or on the way there). Tim is a great, portage-free quick weekend getaway and it's always nice to have the extra comforts every now and then.

Lenny, I agree on the call. A trip a year or so later took me to Galeairy Lake. Very scenic if paddled from Whitney, but I was glad we went here instead. It was nice to finally get to explore Hailstorm Creek & Marsh. I'd love to go further - to Hailstorm Lake and beyond, but I'm saving that for a crazy trip. The wildlife was awesome - Esp. for an access lake. The Sandhill Crane was great - I really thought I was looking at some kind of Ostrich - this thing was massive. I wish I could have got better shots. Too bad about Fork - oddly, my very last canoe trip of 2016 was supposed to be to Fork (Nov) but we were told water levels were too low and I'd be creek walking - nah, not in november. Went to Sunday Lake instead. Thanks again for the kind words - I'm glad you enjoyed the report! (lol ribeye of the sky..)

3/19/2017 9:58 am  #5

Thanks for another great report and love the pics. I love camping on Opeongo Lake there's always something to see and do. Thanks for posting it

3/20/2017 8:55 am  #6

No prob - glad you liked the report and pics! Opeongo is a beautiful lake, and Hailstorm Bay is just the icing on the cake. I will return here, someday.

3/22/2017 8:27 am  #7

Another good read! Thanks for all the reports Peek, they are keeping me sane until ice out... or making it worse, not sure, but entertaining nevertheless. Keep em coming!

3/22/2017 9:43 am  #8

Hey Catto9 I'm happy the reports are keeping you sane! I'm almost finished a crazy-long report, from a 16 day, 240km solo back in 2012. I'm hoping to have it published soon but production is taking much longer than I expected - it'll be worth it though!

Thanks for the kind words!

3/22/2017 1:03 pm  #9

Great work Peek.  I've never camped on Opeongo but your report inspires me to do so.  Love the web site!

3/22/2017 1:51 pm  #10

Thanks for posting these Peek!
Really enjoy seeing your travels, and really REALLY love the website.

Keep it up!
JB

3/22/2017 5:25 pm  #11

SP - thanks! I don't normally recommend access or motorboat lakes, but given the exploration opportunities on Opeongo, I'd say its worth it. 

JB - thanks for the kind words. glad you love the website!!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.