You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2017 2:10 pm  #1

What is your favourite camping meal?

I think we all have that one meal that we make every time we go camping and no matter what it is always amazing. 
For me and my group it has to be the breakfast burritos me make the first morning.  Super easy and so delicious.
Eggs, bacon, salami, onions, orange and yellow peppers, and cheese.  Some hot sauce and ketchup sprinkled on top before wrapping it up in a big tortilla. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it!

3/10/2017 10:03 am  #2

Re: What is your favourite camping meal?

That does sound delicious.

My favourite is Chicken Pot Pie. I shared the recipe here: http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=563

3/10/2017 10:20 am  #3

My favorite camp meal (aside from any Algonquin trout) is always the first one, and it never changes:
Fire-cooked steak, fire-roasted potatoes & onions (wrapped in foil), grilled bell peppers and grilled zucchini. Never fails.

Let's get some goooooood foooooooood photos to accompany this thread!

Here's my favorite Algonquin meal:

Last edited by Peek (3/10/2017 10:20 am)

3/10/2017 11:54 am  #4

Those sound real good!
I dont have a good pic of the burritos but these chicken kabobs were delicious!

3/16/2017 11:31 am  #5

Sorry! I don't have a pick and these all sound/look awesome!
I always love the 1st morning Breakfast.   We always have "Sunrise Sandwiches"
Bacon, eggs, cheese on an Kettleman's Bagel with Mayo.
The bagel's always toasted on the open fire.   Can't beat it!

I'm REALLY tired of this weather now.  The extra foot of snow really has me chomping at the bit and bummed out to get out canoeing!

3/16/2017 12:51 pm  #6

any thang is good, as long i do not have to cook it!
  stry fry steak, scallops, veggies. 

3/17/2017 5:37 am  #7

I've tried this recipe a few times and it still pleases me every time.  It does take a little longer to prepare, that doesn't bother me while camping since it's not like I have to be anywhere else.
For the chicken we use the bagged chicken.

Chicken CarbonaraShared by RollingStone  Bozeman, MTServes 2 Hungry Hikers:Ingredients:

• 1 Pkg of McCormick Creamy Garlic Alfredo sauce mix
  • 12 Strips of shelf stable pre-cooked bacon
  • 2 5-ounce cans of White Chicken
  • 2 Tbsp Butter (We use clarified butter for trail travel)
  • 3 Tbsp of Whole dried Milk (we use only Nido, can be found at any WalMart -good for your coffee too)
  • 2 Packages of Ramen noodles (no flavor packets added)
  • Paper Towel and Ziplock Freezerbags if not using two pots

At Home:The only prep you need to worry about is re-packaging your bacon. Powdered whole milk can be carried in a variety of ways, as can the butter. Choose a method that suits you. This recipe is easier made with two pots on the trail. If you don't carry two pots, then toss 2 or 3 quart-sized Freezer Ziplock bags in with your kitchen to rehydrate the Ramen noodles with.On the Trail:Step One-Prepare Ramen. Bring Two cups of water to a boil. While water is heating, break up the ramen from it's brick state so it will rehydrate easier. If you have two pots, place the ramen into one pot, pour your water over the top, cover, and set aside. If using Ziplocks, put one broken up brick into each bag, and add one cup of boiling water to each bag. Seal, set aside under a jacket or your sleeping bag.Step Two-In pot you intend to make sauce in, light up stove, tear the bacon strips into halves and put into pot. This bacon is already precooked so you are essentially now applying a little heat to bring it to a slightly crispy state. This bacon will burn easy so make sure to be aggressive about stirring it around. When it turns color, remove it from pot and place onto paper towels. DO NOT remove the slight amount of excess grease left in pot.Step Three-Create Alfredo sauce by mixing up one cup of water to 3 tbsp of dried milk. Pour milk into pan and light stove to medium flame.Step Four-Slowly mix in Alfredo powder until thoroughly mixed, then add two tablespoons butter (clarified butter works very well and is our choice of butter on the trail) -- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat.Step Five-Add canned chicken (drain water from can) and simmer the Alfredo for approximately 5 minutes, or until it reaches a thickened state you like.Step Six-Drain Ramen noodles, divide amongst bowls. Add Alfredo sauce to each bowl. Add crumbled bacon to the top. Serve!Comments and Suggestions:Technically this recipe feeds 3 people on an average trip, but if it has been a long day, it's an easy recipe for two. In addition, by pre-measuring Alfredo Sauce mix, this recipe could be cut down to just one person. I don't recommend this recipe in Grizzly country in the Spring or Fall due to excessive smell of bacon.Continue Reading...View RollingStone's Tom Ka Gai Rice & Chicken RecipeReturn to Your Best Backpacking Recipes

3/17/2017 2:59 pm  #8

These re-hydrated pulled pork wraps are always a hit.  Don't take up a lot of space and don't weigh much.  Very filling...2 is usually enough.  Always taste like the day they came out of the slow cooker.  I usually put a bit of shredded cheese on mine.

3/18/2017 7:37 am  #9

SwiftPaddler wrote:

These re-hydrated pulled pork wraps are always a hit.  Don't take up a lot of space and don't weigh much.  Very filling...2 is usually enough.  Always taste like the day they came out of the slow cooker.  I usually put a bit of shredded cheese on mine.

Thats a good idea!  Might have to try that.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.