LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2017 11:09 am  #1

Video: Campsite Moose Encounter on Merchant's Lake

This happened on my August trip last year. I was on the beach site on Merchant's Lake, sitting down by the water with my coffee and (fortunately) my camera, and this beauty just came strolling down the water's edge until she parked herself right in front of me. 

I posted some of this video on an Algonquin facebook group not long after the trip, and it was also in my video trip report so it may not be new to some of you, but I thought it'd be worth posting. 

My apologies that it's slightly out of focus. This particular camera has a problem with auto-focus on videos.

2/05/2017 2:08 pm  #2

Re: Video: Campsite Moose Encounter on Merchant's Lake

blind as a bat!! 

2/05/2017 5:15 pm  #3

What an amazing experience!

2/07/2017 2:27 pm  #4

You must look exactly like a rock.  Or a tree.  That footage is something else, thank you for sharing it.  If I might suggest, you should be able to win some quality bar bets with that.  I've had two close-proximity encounters, but not like a moose taking a leisurely stroll down the beach.  One was on the carry between Daisy and Acme - I was carrying a canoe when a cow walked right across the trail in front of me. All I saw was brown. Then I saw her calf to my right.  Soooooo glad she was cool about it.

2/12/2017 5:32 pm  #5

Incredible, you were as cool as a cucumber. Not sure I would have been able to stay still during that close encounter. Thank you for sharing!

2/13/2017 1:17 pm  #6

@swedish_pimple it wouldn't surprise me if she was half blind, yep. But I was sitting on the edge of the beach next to a tree, so I might have been hard to spot. I moved only enough to move the camera. 

@Steve E: Yep, it was pretty cool. Doubt I'll ever have something quite like that happen again. 

@dontgroandaddy: I hear you. I once climbed into my kayak in a tiny little creek at the end of a portage only to spot a calf a few feet away on one side. Then I looked to my other side, and there was mom. I thought I was in deep trouble, but she didn't seem to care. 

@Blobsquatch: I think the camera was the reason. I was looking through the lens so it wasn't really happening, or something like that. If I'd been just sitting there watching her walk up to me I'd probably have been seriously spooked, but as it was it honestly never occurred to me to be nervous. 

2/13/2017 5:50 pm  #7

Mister, do you have any cookies?

what a sweetie.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

3/15/2017 2:44 pm  #8

I know it isn't but that looks just like the beach at the south end of Crotch.

3/16/2017 8:18 am  #9

Right after the moose I shot another video in which I stated I was on Welcome Lake - while sitting on a Merchant's Lake campsite.

What I'm saying is that sand is confusing. You at least have the excuse that you weren't there. 

Board footera