You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/19/2017 12:01 pm  #1

Cabin accessible by foot??

After reading the last couple of trip reports about staying in ranger cabins (which I enjoyed very much) I was wondering if any of the backpacking trails have access to a cabin.
Any thoughts? Experience?

Thanks!

2/19/2017 12:08 pm  #2

Re: Cabin accessible by foot??

Excluding the cabins at access points (Rain, Brent (x2) Kiosk) there are a few you could walk to, but it wouldn't be along trails of any type, it would be along a logging road.

You can walk to Twelve Mile, Lost Coin, Kitty, McKaskill - but all along active logging roads.

2/20/2017 10:59 am  #3

I don't like driving on logging roads never mind walking on one. Oh well, I'll have to stick with carrying my house on my back!

Thanks!

2/20/2017 11:28 am  #4

There are drive-to cabins.  Rain Lake is one of them.  The access point for the hiking trail is "across the parking lot" from the cabin.

Kitty Lake is a no-portage paddle-to cabin. I don't think you are allowed to walk to it.  The road that goes right to it, literally, is used by the Ranger for maintenance.  The logging road is a different road, at least it was when we were there last.

Descriptions and access methods are described for each rental cabin here;

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/camping/ranger-cabins.php

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

2/22/2017 1:58 pm  #5

Thanks Barbara!

I'll look into that

2/22/2017 2:48 pm  #6

In theory, you could walk to any one of the twelve cabins - it just comes down to how far and through what are you willing to walk.

Even if you weren't allowed to use the maintenance road leading to the kitty Lake Cabin for example, there are no laws or regulations against 'walking through the forest'. So though it may not be ideal to 'bushwhack' to a cabin, I think it's a stretch to say 'I think you're not allowed to walk to the cabin' because you could simply, and legally, walk through the woods to the cabin. Perhaps a better statement would be 'I don't think you're allowed to walk on that service road' in which case I'd walk a few meters in the bush, flowing said road.

I've read trip reports where people have hiked to McKaskill Cabin, which also uses a service road from the logging road directly to the cabin. But, that doesn't imply what they did was legal.

Last edited by Peek (2/22/2017 2:49 pm)

2/23/2017 8:27 am  #7

Peek wrote:

In theory, you could walk to any one of the twelve cabins - it just comes down to how far and through what are you willing to walk.

Even if you weren't allowed to use the maintenance road leading to the kitty Lake Cabin for example, there are no laws or regulations against 'walking through the forest'. So though it may not be ideal to 'bushwhack' to a cabin, I think it's a stretch to say 'I think you're not allowed to walk to the cabin' because you could simply, and legally, walk through the woods to the cabin. Perhaps a better statement would be 'I don't think you're allowed to walk on that service road' in which case I'd walk a few meters in the bush, flowing said road.

I've read trip reports where people have hiked to McKaskill Cabin, which also uses a service road from the logging road directly to the cabin. But, that doesn't imply what they did was legal.

Hiking to the Kitty Lake Cabin seems totally do-able but McKaskill would be a pretty decent trek! Still worth it IMO if you can't afford to rent a canoe! I have hiked to countless campsites either on the abandoned rail beds, logging roads, or bush.. which I guess in some cases could be illegal?

2/23/2017 8:56 am  #8

I didn't think there were any legal restrictions on where you can walk. Logging roads, ranger roads... the public isn't allowed to drive or even bike on these, but I thought your own two feet were fair game anywhere in the park. Anyone have the source info?

3/09/2017 8:26 am  #9

DanPM wrote:

I didn't think there were any legal restrictions on where you can walk. Logging roads, ranger roads... the public isn't allowed to drive or even bike on these, but I thought your own two feet were fair game anywhere in the park. Anyone have the source info?

If you google "Algonquin Park Management Plan" and download the PDF management plan document, there is a blurb on Page 40 about transportation of recreationalists.  There are also a few other areas in the document that talk about "roads" and "access".
My interpretation of the document is that walking these roads in the park is legal to do so.
However, having said that, I am not a lawyer and it's simply my interpretation. Read the document and make your own interpretation of the rules.

JeffsMap also includes a note:  "Please Remember: Except where specifically permitted, it is an offence to drive, bike, or canoe cart any Algonquin Park logging road. They may ONLY be walked (with caution)"

3/09/2017 9:22 am  #10

Thanks everyone!!
I've got a little more fuel for the fire now!

3/09/2017 10:18 am  #11

The wenda lake cabin is a nice setup. It is about a 1-1.5 hour paddle from the launching point on grand lake and about a 4km portage over a mountain through a beautiful but mosquito infested hardwood forest that is a nighmare with a canoe on your head but possible not so bad with a backpack. They leave a canoe for you at the ranger cabin, so you can do whichever daytrips you would like from the cabin. The only problem with wenda lake is that it's a leech infested acidic unspectacular lake. 

3/10/2017 11:22 am  #12

Thanks Lenny but I'll probably pass. . . . . . . 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.