You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/28/2015 9:01 am  #1

Single Cup Coffee Press

Just saw someone post this on Facebook.  Apparently they found it at Dollarama.  Might be worth checking out!

8/31/2015 10:12 am  #2

Re: Single Cup Coffee Press

I need to find one of these!

We just got back from a trip and have decided we need to upgrade our coffee situation. We've been using Starbucks VIA for the past few years and were quite happy with them but for some reason, they are starting to fall short for us. I don't know if they've changed, if we've got expired packs or if our coffee tastes have become more particular, but we're looking for options.

If anyone has experience with this or another light-weight and small coffee making device, I'm all ears!

8/31/2015 11:27 am  #3

I added one of these to my coffee brewing methods this year.

Very good. Light, collapsible, cheap and easy to use.

Makes a good cup.

http://kuissential.com/product/slickdrip-silicone-coffee-dripper/

Last edited by ShawnD (8/31/2015 4:20 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

8/31/2015 4:20 pm  #4

I should also say Claire that I bring a small hand grinder and always have fresh whole beans.

Makes a huge difference.

I have this grinder. It's very good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002JZCF2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0044ZA066&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0MASYMHKAHBGF1SWMGXA

I also have an aeropress which is great but have been enjoying the easier clean up with the pour over technique.

http://www.aeropress.ca/product/aeropress/

I bring a percolator for larger groups.

http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-Stainless-Percolator-Silicone/dp/B001LF3I2K

Last edited by ShawnD (8/31/2015 4:26 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

9/01/2015 10:09 am  #5

@Steve E, Interesting idea. Looks like it would be light. For 2.50 it's worth a shot!
@ShawnD, I have a GSI perculator as well. Just the right size for groups of 2 or 3. I've settled on a perculator as the best option after trying a lot of other options - coffee press, cowboy coffee, drip.

For solo trips, I have a little single-cup perculator I got from a great-uncle when we were closing up his home. It's kind of neat and I've never seen another one like it. This one (under the brand-name Viko) was manufactured between 1913-1917.

Last edited by Algonquintripper (9/01/2015 10:32 am)

Dave

9/01/2015 3:59 pm  #6

Wow, that perc is impressive. Must be an old bakelite plastic handle!

Steve, I'm gonna look for one of those dollar store items.  I've been going back and forth between a GSI drip, a french press attachment for my Primus Litech pot, and Starbucks Via.

Here's someone else's photo of the GSI press($11(!) at MEC and 14g!) Weight, awesome. Coffee, not bad. Only problem was it was sometimes difficult to put on and remove without the coffee grounds getting all over the place.

Here's the French press attachment for the LiTech pot.

The fourth method is, I just use some of those empty teabags you can buy, fill with coffee and make coffee like tea in the mug.  I'm curious what others are using. Keep the pics coming!

Last edited by LaLoche (9/01/2015 4:00 pm)

9/02/2015 8:07 am  #7

Question for this coffee-loving crowd. We've been doing instant for some time now because we find it a hassle to deal with packing out the filters and the used grounds (we are lazy in the morning and prefer ultimate ease). Any tips on managing the coffee "aftermath"?

Somewhat related question: anyone have creamer suggestions? We bring coffee mate but we're always looking for something better. When I'm home, I'm pretty sure coffee is just an excuse to drink cream. 

9/02/2015 8:20 am  #8

I buy a big box of mini moos at the beginning of the season Claire.

http://www.amazon.com/Land-Lakes-Mini-Creamer-Count/dp/B005H0H6VO

No getting around packing out the grounds I think. Instant in my opinion isn't comparable to grinding and brewing fresh.

The pour over is very easy ...just throw out the filter with grounds and pack out.

Simple wash out of the cone.

Last edited by ShawnD (9/02/2015 8:59 am)

9/09/2015 10:03 am  #9

LaLoche wrote:

Here's someone else's photo of the GSI press($11(!) at MEC and 14g!) Weight, awesome. Coffee, not bad. Only problem was it was sometimes difficult to put on and remove without the coffee grounds getting all over the place.

I have that coffee filter and to get around that issue (and help with cleanup and slow the drip for stronger coffee) I also use a paper filter in it. Works like a charm.

Instant is never an option. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.