You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2017 9:45 am  #1

Portages in early Spring - what's the worst you've encountered?

This seems trip planning related to me, but please move the thread if I should have posted it somewhere else. Planning for early Spring trips can require extra care, as the weather, the water temps, and the portages themselves can all be unpleasant. 

I've done quite a few 'ice out' camping trips in Algonquin, heading into the park within the first couple weeks after the ice going out. Generally speaking that means the portages haven't yet been cleared, and that can definitely add a speed bump to your travel plans. But I've never encountered anything significant. I'd say the worst I've run into was the 2.4 K portage between Tom Thomson and Ink a few years ago, where I had at least three significant blowdowns to climb over / under / find a way around. But I'm wondering if any of you have encountered conditions that had a significant impact on your travel plans, or added a huge amount of time to your day. There are notes on Jeff's Map in places that say things like "... trail decimated by a wind storm... impassable" so I know such things can happen - but have you personally encountered portages that were in truly rough shape? 

If you've got any horror stories, I'd love to hear them!

3/07/2017 1:14 pm  #2

Re: Portages in early Spring - what's the worst you've encountered?

The worst I can recall was the 2800m portage from the Nipissing River to Gibson's lake.   The portage passed through a dying spruce forest and there were dozens of deadfalls along the way.   Later on the trip we ran into two rangers when we were entering North Tea Lake and they told us they had cleared that portage the previous year.  They also told us that the South River route we planned to use to get back to our start point had not been cleared in nine years.  We decided to exit via Kawayamog instead.  Generally though, on the many early season canoe trips I have done there haven't been enough deadfalls to have any significant impact on our travel time.

The worst case situation is where there has been a major ice storm or a very heavy fall of wet snow as this can result in a large number of trees or large branches falling onto the trails.

My gut feeling is that the park has fewer resources to maintain the more remote, low maintenance portages than it did say 20 years ago but I have no proof of that.

3/07/2017 7:07 pm  #3

I had the privilege of crossing the longest portage in the park, after it was decimated by winter storms and had not been cleared yet.

The last three paragraphs and last 5 photos tell all, check it out.

3/08/2017 9:58 am  #4

WHOA! Peek - I hope someone met you at your take out spot to give you a pint of beer and a medal after that portage!?! 

3/08/2017 11:54 am  #5

I don't think anyone is beating Peek on this one. I've never hit anything close to being that bad. 

3/08/2017 11:59 am  #6

Yeah, I think Peek stole the show. Way to stick with it!

It sounds though that Peek's experience was the exception and the usual portage experience, even in early Spring, is just the occasional blowdown. Which matches what I've always encountered, but good to have some confirmation, even if it's just through the lack of horror stories!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.