You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2016 10:16 am  #1

Car accessible backcountry

My husband and I have stayed at the car accessible spot on Pretty Lake.  We would like something similar and not close to the road.  We have 2 dogs and are looking for another car accessible spot backcountry.  Anyone know of any sites ? Can't manage 2 dogs in a canoe at the moment.

Last edited by oliverslane (7/08/2016 10:17 am)

7/08/2016 11:24 am  #2

Re: Car accessible backcountry

Pretty Lake, Buck Lake, Kingscote Lake, Basin Lake and Mallard Lake in APP offer drive in interior camping. Billy Lake and Number One Lake are similar but a short walk from your car. Outside of APP (free) there are spots on Mallard Lake, Little Lake, Big Bissette Lake, Kawawaymog Lake,Major Lake, Madawaska River, Opeongo River, Bonnechere River. I'm sure there are others. I cannot comment on the quality if these sites. I've only stayed on a couple as a jumping off spot before a trip. Some are just a patch of dirt beside the road. 

7/08/2016 3:03 pm  #3

The site on Sec lake closest to the access point is super easy to hike to and it is a pretty good site actually. Out on a bit of a point with a rocky beach.. big fire pit and a 'kitchen counter' set up. The site right beside the P160 to Mallard lake can also be hiked to from the beach at the access point in a few minutes. The trail is kind of hard to find but not impossible that's for sure and this site is also pretty good. There is also Number One lake which is a few KM further down the Achray Road. There is one bookable site at the lake but two sites exist but the closest to the parking area is the best IMO. Its a fairly easy P180 from the parking area. All of the sites mentioned are more than 75 yards from any road, most of them being a couple hundred, and they are all in the same area.
If you want to get adventurous there are at least 3 sites on Kiosk Lake that can be easy access via the old rail bed. Same goes for Mink Lake.

Last edited by token (7/08/2016 3:08 pm)

3/05/2017 10:50 am  #4

sec lake which has very good fishing too for bass and pike

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.