You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/01/2017 12:15 am  #1

New Trip Report Online! (TR 53: Winter Camp on the Madawaska River)

Good morning Algonquin Adventures Community!!

It’s FINALLY March which means we should be able to find some open water up north next month! Until then, here is another trip report I’ve published on TOURduPARK. It's a short winter camping trip just off of Highway 60 in Algonquin. The forecasted low for the evening was minus two. It turned out to be much, MUCH colder than minus two. Nevertheless, it was a great time with friends and spectacular scenery.

I hope you enjoy the read! TR 53: Winter Camp on the Madawaska River

Some Preview Images:

3/01/2017 6:37 am  #2

Re: New Trip Report Online! (TR 53: Winter Camp on the Madawaska River)

Great trip report, thank you for sharing!

-21, Holy Crackers and Cheese...can I ask what you were using for a sleeping pad and sleeping bag?

That Wendy's restaurant ought to have a special section exclusively for people coming out of the park...it's a ritual for me every time.

3/01/2017 1:20 pm  #3

You've convinced me that my "no winter camping" approach remains the correct one!

At least winter camping with summer gear, anyway ;)

3/01/2017 5:00 pm  #4

@Blobsquach: I'm happy you liked the report - yeah, the -21 was intense. I've camped in colder weather, but while using a hot tent. Never have I camped this cold in a 3 season tent. I don't have proper winter camp sleeping gear, so I used a 0 degree down-fill bag inside a -5 deg synthetic bag with a typical therma-rest self inflating, insulated pad. It was not appropriate for the temperatures we experienced. It would have been fine if it didn't go below -5, or maybe even -10. But -21 was just too much.

lol yes, that Wendy's definitely sees its fair share of trippers - there are always canoe-topped cars in the parking lot, never fails - and that spicy chicken, or if you're lucky, jalapeno cheddar spicy chicken is exactly what you need (or I need, at least) following an intense canoe trip! I start thinking about it on the last portage of the trip ;P

Uppa: Do you remember those cartoon shorts on Animaniacs called 'Good Idea / Bad Idea'? Good Idea: Winter camping with winter gear. Bad Idea: Summer camping with winter gear. (then it would show something like a guy sinking in a canoe under the weight/bulk of winter gear). Seriously tho winter camping is fun, very quiet - its even okay to use 3 season gear if the temps are right. In our case something crazy happened with the forecast - they were off by 19 degrees, that's a big margin of error. I wouldn't have gone if the forecast was -10, forget -21. Right at the end of March too.. and it warmed up the next morning like nothing happened. It was really quite odd. Hot tenting is the only way I'll go from now on.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.