You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2017 11:47 am  #1

Outdoor Adventure Show & Toronto Sportsman Show

Anybody planning on going? Outdoor Adventure Travel show is in Toronto Feb 24-26 and the Sportsman show is March 15-19. This will be my first time attending the Outdoor show, while I've frequented the Sportsman show in years past.

I see Swift is going to be at the Outdoor Adventure Show and I figured it would be a good time to go look for a deal and find out some more information.

Would be great to put a face to some names.

2/20/2017 10:55 am  #2

Re: Outdoor Adventure Show & Toronto Sportsman Show

I've gone to the Outdoor Adventure Show for the past three or four years.

Basically, I just go to fondle the Swift and Souris River canoes, listen to a few talks, e.g., I've seen Kevin Callan (Happy Camper), Goh Iromoto (film director), David Lee (Passionate Paddler), Preston Ciere (Portageur), Hap Wilson, Adam Shoalts, and many others, etc.. Someone from the Provincial Parks usually highlights a particular park. Jeff of Jeff's Maps is usually there, too.

I like to replenish the first aid kit, and pick up a few miscellaneous items from Tent City, Boréal Ventures, and Canadian Outdoor Equipment, to name a few vendors. I picked up a Thermarest all season pad and a portage pack at very good prices from Tent City one year.

It's not a huge show. A lot of the space is devoted to US, Caribbean, and world tourism and scuba diving destinations. But it is a fun outing for a few hours. I always go on the Friday. If you're going Friday, let me know. We can grab a coffee or a beer at some point.

2/22/2017 11:33 am  #3

May head over that way Saturday. Love window shopping...

Sean

SeanOfAjax
Paddling Adventures Radio
www.paddlingadventuresradio.com
"Grab a paddle and get on the water"

2/22/2017 9:06 pm  #4

I think I'll go Friday- less busy.

2/22/2017 10:38 pm  #5

I'll be going to the Outdoor Adventure Show for the first time this Friday.

2/23/2017 8:54 am  #6

Methye wrote:

Jeff of Jeff's Maps is usually there, too.

Bear in mind Jeff is no longer of Jeff's Maps.

2/23/2017 8:59 am  #7

DanPM wrote:

Methye wrote:

Jeff of Jeff's Maps is usually there, too.

Bear in mind Jeff is no longer of Jeff's Maps.

Does anyone know why that is? I remember hearing Jeff speak about some of the new maps he was working on for different locations and can't help but wonder if they have been scrapped? Would be a shame if so.

I also need to pick up some new copies of Algonquin and am having a difficult time finding them in stock anywhere, MEC and Jeff's Map websites included...hoping they restock.

I'll be at the show on Saturday I believe. 

2/23/2017 9:10 am  #8

He had a business dispute with his partners and left the company that bears his name. I doubt there will be any new maps unless/until he sets up a new arrangement. Sad story.

2/23/2017 8:46 pm  #9

"Hey Jeff! We're rooting for you! Need a hand with anything, you've got a lot of goodwill on this forum that you could tap into!"

2/24/2017 7:24 am  #10

Hi folks, you can get a promo code for the show on Eureka's facebook page...OUTDOORSHOW. Nets $4 off an adult admission.

Looks like my brother and I will be heading there Saturday.

2/25/2017 5:02 pm  #11

Went to the show this morning. It was very busy and there was enough camping stuff to keep me interested.

I bought a couple of things that were good deals:
- 550 7 strand paracord from Boreal Ventures ($10 per 100 foot hank, and if you bought 4 they would give you a 5th at no charge).
- At ScoutTech's booth they had the Nemo Fillo Pillo Deluxe for $49, much less than I've seen it elsewhere.

I stopped by the Utah booth and talked to the lady there about Zion National Park (on my bucket list). She tells me it's only a 2 hour drive from Las Vegas Maybe that trip is closer than I thought it was.

Last edited by Blobsquatch (2/25/2017 5:03 pm)

2/26/2017 10:29 am  #12

Yeah, I had a good time, too. Admired the lightness of the 22 pound Pack canoe at Swift, ogled their carbon kevlar Keewaydin 15 solo canoe, but thought the seat on theTranquility Solo over at Souris River was ingenious. That's a canoe I'd like to test, but there are so few of them in southern Ontario.

There was certainly enough camping stuff to keep the show interesting.

Had a good chat with the Parks employee who  initiated the "Learn to Camp" program, and another good chat with the CPAWS Wildlands people about the decline in moose numbers.

One interesting gear thing was to see that the Eureka bugnet mesh room plus tarp system (VCS 16) is now integrated into one piece for a half pound saving. I guess this is a big seller for them in the buggy season. I have coveted one for a long time.
Bought a super light titanium foil windscreen for my alcohol stove at Boreal Ventures. They were busy. Nice to see a small family-run operation doing well.

Last edited by Methye (2/26/2017 10:29 am)

2/26/2017 3:11 pm  #13

I have the original  VCS 16.  Love it although it can be tricky to get a taught pitch.Not sure the weight saving would  draw for me to the new version.I enjoy the versatility of being able use the components independently. Wish i could have made.it to the show.

2/26/2017 3:31 pm  #14

It was a bit of a zoo Saturday afternoon, but overall no complaints. I was able to pick up a few things off my list as well. Algonquin Outfitters had some Jeff's maps on hand so I grabbed the Western one I needed. They're the only spot that I have been able to find them still stocked. MEC, Jeffsmaps website, Canadian Outdoor Equipment are all out of stock.

Also picked up a new HL60R headlamp from Fenix for $30 less than retail, as well as a Trangia lid for my GSI Glacier cup/pot from Canadian Outdoor Equipment. Was hoping to find a deal on a used canoe but will have to head up to muskoka when the snow is gone.

2/26/2017 4:58 pm  #15

I too was very interested in the Eureka NoBugZone.

I had been considering the VCS system, but the Burlington SAIL store had no stock the past couple of times I went there. Last week I saw the NoBugZone at the store but given the price I suspected it was a reduced quality version of the VCS so I was reluctant to pick it up.

Since Eureka had a NoBugZone all set up on display at the show, I gave it a close look. It looked pretty well made so I decided to purchase one. Armed with a couple of SAIL gift cards, I went over to the Burlington store this morning and bought one. I'm glad I held off on the VCS as the NoBugZone is much less expensive and gives me enough interior room for what I want it for.

Hi Basil, I am a big fan of Fenix products. I have the LD 35 which is 680 Lumens. That sucker is my all time favourite flashlight. I'm almost sorry I missed out on the headllamp you picked up.

Last edited by Blobsquatch (2/26/2017 5:01 pm)

2/26/2017 6:47 pm  #16

The VCS mesh room is smaller than the perimeter of the VCS tarp. The NoBugZone Mesh is attached directly to the edge of the tarp. The tarp dimensions are the same. So, NoBugZone is cheaper, lighter and offers more usable interior space.

NoBUgZone is less flexible than having the tarp separate from the mesh. Having used both sizes of the VCS for nearly a decade I have yet to use the tarp without the mushroom attached. So that might be more of a perceived advantage than anything.

2/27/2017 12:24 pm  #17

Got there when the doors opened on Saturday morning and did not leave until the doors closed that evening.  Did not stop the entire time I was there. Window shopping, listening to speakers, watching demonstrations in the pool, and actually buying a couple things sure filled up the day.  Unfortunately I didn't get to hook up and meet with everyone I was hoping to. Was a long fun day though.

Sean

SeanOfAjax
Paddling Adventures Radio
www.paddlingadventuresradio.com
"Grab a paddle and get on the water"

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.