You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/12/2017 8:22 am  #1

New Trip Report Online! (TR 77: McKaskill Lake Cabin)

Good morning Algonquin Adventures community!

Another trip report has been published on TOURduPARK - something to take your mind off the snow storm outside.

This TR is from a recent visit to Algonquin's McKaskill Lake Cabin with a buddy. Not much in the way of wildlife, but plenty of exploring, good eats and as always - good times in Algonquin Park. Also, this is the first TR to have video embedded as well (I know, I'm a little late to the party here). Hope you enjoy the report!

Here is TR 77: McKaskill Lake Cabin

Some preview images:

Last edited by Peek (2/20/2017 7:47 pm)

2/12/2017 12:30 pm  #2

Re: New Trip Report Online! (TR 77: McKaskill Lake Cabin)

Awesome report. Hope to hit up that area at some point.  I had a Herc buzz Robataille lake while solo paddling last summer. Very low two loops finishing with a straight shot right above me. Cool yet somewhat eerie.  Too bad they didn't do a beverage drop!. Thank for the report!

2/12/2017 4:56 pm  #3

What a great report! Thank you for the post. I've never seen a ranger cabin before, it looks a lot nice than I had imagined.

I like your strategy of taking a chef along with you. I'll need to revisit my trekking partner list, those meals looked great.

Tracy

2/12/2017 7:29 pm  #4

thanks Shayne - yeah the herc's were definitely cool.. no doubt!

Tracy, Shane is the master chef and I never go hungry when he's around. 

Glad you both enjoyed the read.

Edit: Corrected Shane to Shayne.. I guess writing that TR with "Shane' in it conditioned my brain.

Last edited by Peek (2/13/2017 9:49 am)

2/12/2017 8:13 pm  #5

Awesome TR as usual!  I love the wood carving, that was pretty cool!  My bucket list is to stay at each of the cabins at some point in my life.  Thanks for sharing the great pics!

2/13/2017 10:03 am  #6

Great report! Looks like a really fun trip. Stinks that trout are closed, but a little known fact is Splake are open until Nov 30 and there are splake in Ryan Lake. Doesn't really matter as they don't recommend eating fish from lakes with Blue Green algae. 

Also loved seeing all of the food pics. Nothing beats a steak cooked over the fire in Algonquin Park. I've been upping my camp cooking game as of late, best meal has been bringing an old el paso taco kit and mixing taco seasoning and fish crisp and making brook trout fish tacos. 

Thanks for the great read! Makes me excited for trout opener

Last edited by Lenny (2/13/2017 10:04 am)

2/15/2017 7:46 pm  #7

Hey Steve Glad you liked it man - the cabins are great!

Lenny - we actually thought of that, but obviously due to the algae bloom we didn't bother to try (plus we left the rods in the car once we realize our error). Funny you mention tacos. My favorite thing to make at home is tacos and I've said it a million times 'I wish I could eat this in Algonquin, just once' and you can, but its a lot of prep work and fresh foods. But brook trout tacos - buddy you got me thinking on a whole new level!! opener indeed man, I'm hungry.

2/16/2017 10:42 am  #8

Thanks for posting this. Your report prompted me to plan a trip through this area with a stop at the McKaskill ranger cabin at the tail end. We'll be going in early May (already booked, so I'm hoping the ice cooperates).

2/16/2017 12:14 pm  #9

No problem man - glad it helped sway you to a cabin stay - great way to end a trip.

A new TR was just published, also involving a cabin stay - TR 39: Crooked Chute Cabin & The Natch

2/16/2017 12:17 pm  #10

Awesome TR!

2/16/2017 12:19 pm  #11

thanks man!!

You may also enjoy this one - just published today!

http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=896

Last edited by Peek (2/16/2017 12:23 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.