You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2017 9:16 am  #1

3 New Ruins Added! + Other Updates

Hello Algonquin Adventures Community!

I have shy of a dozen new ruin sites that were photographed over the 2016 tripping season and this is the release of the first batch. You can view over 70 different ruin locations throughout Algonquin Park on TOURduPARK.com

I present:

The Turtle Club at Lake Traverse

The Blast Channel at Crooked Chute

Cabin Relics at Lauder Lake

Also - I've updated the Alligator Anchor ruin page to reflect that the anchor has been returned to Anchor Island following a 3 year 'vacation' on White Trout Lake.

Some preview images:

The Turtle Club at Lake Traverse

The Blast Channel at Crooked Chute

Cabin Relics at Lauder Lake

The Alligator Anchor at Burntroot Lake

The next batch of ruins include:

The Timber Slide at Shirley Lake

The P.O.W. Spring Camp on the Nipissing River

Two Freshwater Springs - Big Crow Cabin & The Natch Cliffs

Update to all photo albums (Except Logging Museum)

2/10/2017 7:47 pm  #2

Re: 3 New Ruins Added! + Other Updates

Always interesting, Peek!

Dave

2/11/2017 12:57 pm  #3

Glad you like it man!

2/12/2017 10:18 am  #4

Peek,

The photo you have in the "Blast Channel" section with the caption of "I don't know what this is, email me if you know" appears to be what is referred to as a "Pothole".

It's a geologic landform or remnant of erosion from very fast flowing water.  Essentially it starts as a small depression in bedrock with a few pebbles or rocks laying on it.  As water flows over it, the current creates a circular motion that carries the rocks around and acts as an abrasive - sort of a blend between sand paper (for small pebbles) and a jackhammer (for larger rocks).  As they spin, they have the effect of acting like a massive drill.  Googling "pothole landform" or "pothole erosion" will show many images of these features.

I believe they are most commonly associated with massive glacial outflows - areas where a glacial dam holds back a lake and then releases its contents in a short period of time.  There are many along the length of the Susquehanna river in my back yard at a place called "Falmouth" http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_008376.pdf and I have seen these in other areas such as Algonquin (formation of Eustache lake, the Barron Canyon are suspected to be the result of these glacial dam releases), I've seen them on the tops of the mountains of Acadia Park on the coast of Maine - with holes drilled into the very hard granite, which is quite impressive.  They also appear in non-glacial areas where reliably fast water flows over bedrock.

Most are small - perhaps the diameter of 10 to 30 centimeters - but some can be massive at a meter or many meters across.  For those you need some really catastrophic, biblical-type flooding to scour that hard and with that much power, energy and time.

Very cool features and your photo clearly shows the bunch of rocks in the bottom that were circulating in there for eons (or at least for the time that the heavy flow was over-running that area).

2/12/2017 10:54 am  #5

PA - that is some great info, thanks a lot. I wasn't sure what exactly to 'google' when researching this formation. I have seen it at two other places in Algonquin (well, one in algonquin, one just outside) At Gravel Falls on the Oxtongue R there is a really deep one, with a very shallow one right next to it (I can't find a pic at the moment) and the other one was along the Nip somewhere - by an old dam. Because I've only seen them at old dams or other man-made things (blast channel) I wasn't sure if it was man made or a natural formation as a result of what was man made nearby. Very cool info PA - I appreciate you taking the time to post it. 

I've already made the update and it will be visible on Tuesday when the next batch of ruins are release.

Thanks again man!!

2/12/2017 12:43 pm  #6

No problem at all.  I love those sorts of things when you see them, try to figure them out and then come to learn that it was something close to what you expected or completely out in left field.

It's hard to imagine the amount and speed of icy, rocky water that must have be blasting through there to cause it.  The area in the Susquehanna river that is like that is suspected to be from a glacial lake release as well.  There are thousands of depressions, cavities and potholes in one small stretch where the river narrows and the bedrock is resistant.  It's also very good smallmouth fishing there!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.