You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/03/2017 1:46 pm  #1

Fish ID

I caught this fish last summer on Kitty Lake. Is it a chub? Are these fish common in the park?

2/03/2017 6:34 pm  #2

Re: Fish ID

i think that the fish is called a "fall fish" or "cisco" kinda like a whitefish,, that is one of the biggest i have ever seen!!  chubs have wee horns on da head.
    one old timer told me that cisco`s "are as sweet as a nut  to eat",,     what ever that means?
  yes, these fish are common in da park. i have caught`em all over in little currents. york river, petawawa river,

2/03/2017 6:45 pm  #3

I believe it's a fallfish, which is a close relative of the much smaller creek chub.

That is not, however, a cisco. Cisco (aka lake herring) are relatives of the whitefish, as swede says, but very different from fallfish and chubs, which are minnows. Cisco are cold-water fish usually found deep in the middle of large lakes. Where they exist, lake trout tend to grow big on them.

2/04/2017 8:57 am  #4

Awesome, thanks for the ID swede and Dan. I looked up some pictures and I would say you guys are certainly correct in saying that it's a fallfish. I've never heard of that type of fish before so I appreciate the info.

2/07/2017 10:36 pm  #5

Yes definitely fallfish.

Moonman.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.