You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/19/2017 12:12 pm  #1

Sleeping bag recommendations for colder weather

Hello Team Algonquin,

I'm looking to invest in a new sleeping bag for the ice out and late fall seasons as my MEC Drake isn't cutting it once the temps drop below zero (rated 0 C).

I've been researching a bit and Western Mountaineering seems to give solid reviews across the board. Are they true to their temp ratings? I'm a side sleeper so the mummy design probably isn't what I'm looking for. 

Does anyone have any experience with WM and/or other options they can recommend?  In terms of sleeping pads I have the Thermarest NeoAir All season which I'm extremely happy with. Thanks!
RC

1/19/2017 2:19 pm  #2

Re: Sleeping bag recommendations for colder weather

I just bought a new bag last year and after a bunch of research ended up with the the MEC Aqualina -7. It's a women's bag but there is a unisex/mens version too. The weight-packability-price ratio was one of the best I could find and it was an excellent price for a down bag. It also has a collar which was important to me. I find that's a super key feature in terms of warmth.

It's a mummy style bag but I find it's great even when I sleep on my side. I can even manage to sleep in the First Aid Recovery position (1 knee bent to the side, 1 leg straight) in the bag. I think they also have a "wide" option in the unisex version.

The coldest I've used it was over Thanksgiving this past fall. It kept me nice and toasty and I sleep cold. I have the temp written somewhere; I can look it up if you're keen. 

I also have a spreadsheet that outlines all the features and benefits of the bags I was looking at. PM me if you're interested (or anyone else is interested). They are all women's bags but many have a unisex or mens equivalent.

1/19/2017 8:10 pm  #3

Trying out my MEC Phoenix hybrid in February.  Rated to -20C. Seems relatively roomy but have yet to give it a good test. Soon...

1/20/2017 7:59 am  #4

I have a MEC Cygnet, they don't make it anymore but it is basically a Drake but rated to -10. I use it in late and early shoulder seasons and increase the warmth by wearing a mountaineering style down jacket and double up on the long johns. The jacket and spare long johns are both things I would be carrying anyways. I use that combo and don't bother with my winter bag unless its going to be atleast -15 or colder. The jacket is nice because you can spin around independent of the sleeping bag, unlike a mummy bag.

I know that isn't a recommendation on another bag, but as a fellow side sleeper, any barrel bag around -10 gives you a lot of flex for temperature changes with a little more or little less clothing when you sleep.

1/20/2017 11:41 am  #5

Sounds like you may like a quilt.

I switched over from a bag 2 - 3 years ago and will never go back. so much more versatile IMO.

Mine is rated to -12 I think I use it in  all seasons. In the summer it's fine, I just open it up a bit and get some air flow. In the late fall early spring I tighten it up . It has a zippered footbox etc..and supplement with a down vest and hat if it is really cold. 

This company gets outstanding reviews. http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/

They are expensive especially with the exchange but if you are looking at WM you will save a  lot of money.. The quilts are completely custom so you can get exactly what you want in terms of size, colour, down fill..make it as warm as you want.

And mine only weighs 22 ozs too I think so a good savings there too..

You may want to read this too.. I found it helpful..http://www.backpackingnorth.com/ultralight-makeover-change-your-bedding/

Last edited by ShawnD (1/20/2017 12:17 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

1/20/2017 12:11 pm  #6

Really appreciate all the feedback. Keep it coming!
ShawnD, thanks for the links. As a side sleeper who moves a lot  the quilt sounds like an interesting option. Question though, how do you ensure the quilt is covering you if you shift during the night? Are the straps truly effective in keeping it in place?

1/20/2017 12:25 pm  #7

So I would say yes the straps do a pretty good job of keeping you covered. I'm a side sleeper too. I'm not very active though. When I'm out I'm out.

A quilt is not going to offer you the same cozy cocoon a mummy bag does but like I said the quilt gives you a good foundation and when it is really cold that is when making clothes a part of your sleep system is more important to supplement.
Summer it is great just open it all the way and unzip the footbox to just use it as a blanket.

Pretty good shot of what mine looks like done up. You can clip the top closed too once you are in. Hard to see but there are clips at the top.

And if you are really worried about not being covered if you move around a lot looks like EE has lauched a new quilt since I bought my Revelation. The Convert... Zips all the way up the back so can be a full open quilt and a traditional zipped up bag or anything in between. Looks interesting. Flexible gear that fills multiple needs is awesome.

Last edited by ShawnD (1/20/2017 12:59 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

1/22/2017 3:23 pm  #8

I have a Feathered Friends Snowy Owl and it is amazing.  I sleep really cold so although this bag may seem like overkill to many, to me it's perfect for Algonquin winters.  I too am a side sleeper and could never sleep in a mummy bag.  Although the FF is a "mummy bag" it is huge inside and boasts about the widest dimensions you can get in a bag like that.  I don't feel too restricted in it and can roll from side to side from inside the bag.  They are pricey (mine was about $1500) but I love it!  I looked at the WM bags as well but the FF bags are roomier inside so that's what sold me.  I can post some pics if you like...

Last edited by Steve E (1/22/2017 3:25 pm)

1/22/2017 6:02 pm  #9

Thanks Steve. These have come up during my research. Solid reviews and and seem to be at the top of the food chain as far as down bags. How cold are you accounting for with your bag, i.e are you cold tenting? That is pricey and may be a tad out of my budget.

1/22/2017 9:45 pm  #10

I do a mix of hot tenting and cold tenting.  But even when I hot tent I let the stove burn out so the tent goes down to ambient temps within a couple of hours.  I've been in Algonquin at -35 and tested out the FF at -25 and I was warm.  I went with the warmest bag I could find just because I sleep so cold.  Before I bought the FF bag I bought a Wiggys bag that is rated to -60 as well.  I liked it because it's a barrel bag but in all honesty I get cold in it very quickly.  I saved my pennies for the FF bag but I figure I do enough winter camping and the bag should last my lifetime so that's how I justified it to myself.

1/23/2017 6:39 am  #11

I'm looking at this system.  I have a line on a used one for reasonable. Seems to be rated for variable Temps. Being military I'm sure it will be heavy but winter weight not such an issue.will post more when I'm able to try it out. 

http://www.tennierindustries.com/products/rfi-modular-sleep-system-5-part/

1/24/2017 10:37 pm  #12

A major help in the early spring would be the addition of a foamy under you.  At that time of year, the cold is coming out of the ground under you and a foam pad under you makes a world of difference.

We also have the Cygnets, I believe, and treat them like gold.  Marvelous, wonderful things.  Last fall, I was so comfy inside the bag, but my head was cold.  I had my fleecy jacket set up, so I stuck an arm out to flip over my head.  I was shocked at how cold it was outside of the bag.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.